• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

chain lock

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No theft deterrent device will prevent a dedicated thief from taking your ride. Course, an MV would be hard to keep hidden once it's stolen, there aren't THAT many out there on the streets. But the chain is a good way to prevent the occassional joy-rider from wanting to take a free ride in your truck. Like a Club, in a way. I might have to install one on my truck, it's missing this feature.

TOBEXA

well i love it, and i get a kick every time i see it. i also have two wheel chocks attached to chains, anyone know where the other side of the chain hooks to?

papercu

chocks

Actually the ones with the snap locks are for the bigger trallers, if yours has them just make a loop and snap it together around something so it doesn't fall out while traveling. Wayne

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
RE: lock

Even though it is a standardized key to the ignition, the door locks and key ignition is one reason why I opt for a CUCV over a HMMWV. Tough to lock those canvas doors.

So, about chains and locks in MVs. Nearly all military vehicles have a keyless ignition switch; you could just imagine if, in combat situations, someone couldn't find the key. When DoD bought the CUCV series of vehicles they were modified COTS (commercial off the shelf) products and did not have the typical military ignition switches. To resolve the probable situation of Snuffy losing the key they made one key fits all (doors and ignitions).

Since no military vehicles have key kocks on the ignitions or doors some means had to be devised to minimize unauthorized rquisitioning of vehicles. This was accomplished by welding a length of chain somewhere near the steering wheel so the chain and a padlock could be used to prevent unauthorized use. Since this modification was often applied at the using unit you will see the chain attached at different points in the vehicles. When a key was lost the Master Key (a large bolt cutter which the motor seargent had access to) could be applied to solve the problem.

Some of the newer vehicles come equipped with a factory installed length of cable or chain for this purpose.

saddamsnightmare

May 10th, 2008.

My M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare" apparently has the chain from the period that the spring seat was applied, and the chain is welded to the front left seat mount bolt head, and it is not a small chain either!! I like to call it the "Baghdad Club", although as this truck has had a long career, it could be a "Saigon Parking Device" also. They don't look like much, but they do tend to discourage the joy riders who want to relive their military driving experiences without buying the truck....... :beer:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Shield/Storm and Vietnam Deuce
""??"" Johnson Mfg. Co. M105A2 Cargo Trailer, MERDC or NATO Woodland Scheme, ex Okla. ANG unit
1967 MEP23A Hercules Generator, OD Green, rebuilt at Toole AD & sold out of Red River Army Depot
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Mercedes Benz Unimog,S 404.114, NATO Green [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks