• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chains vs. Singles

Lax

Since snow, mud and flood season is upon us I would like to ask a question of anyone with REAL, PERSONAL experience. For mud and snow what is the best tire setup. Singles or the stock duellies but with good chains? I have heard guys rave about running the duellies with chains as being close to unstoppable. I know they are a pain to put on but does anyone have real life and honest experience of one set up over the other or are they about the same. Thank you.

mikey

i do not have personal experience, but this video speaks volumes for deuce traction with chains...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLzhRJcjJwk[/media]

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is not a whole lot of difference between singles and duals. Singles are a little better, but you would have a hard time finding a spot that singles made it through and duals didn't.

Chains make a world of difference, on singles or duals.

Katch1

for snow and ice there is nothing better than a set of chains, snow and ice traction is all about ground pressure, I even have a set on my skidloader, makes snow removal very easy even when you get 22 inches of snow

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't go anywhere, without them! They don't do you much good, hanging in the barn. Chains trump any tires, dual or single, with any tread design. A loaded truck with chains, trumps any unloaded truck. Having a load makes a tremendous difference.

Attachments

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do any of ya'll that run mil chains ever run chains on the inner rears?
(when running duals) The BII for the trucks only calls for 6 chains.

To follow the post, chains will beat any tires, for mud, snow or ice..

emr

There is not a whole lot of difference between singles and duals. Singles are a little better, but you would have a hard time finding a spot that singles made it through and duals didn't.

Chains make a world of difference, on singles or duals.
This man talks with experience, All extremely true,

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a lot of areas, when running duals, they Must be by law, on all tires. They are called "three railers". The ones on just the outside are or can be dangerous! On hard pack, the outside chain digs out, just a little, The smooth inside tire holds the outside one up, so it can't get another bit, and you don't go anywhere.

Remember: Going uphill and spinning out, is not the problem! Its sliding off backward, especially with the trailer, that causes the Pucker Factor to escalate mathematically!

tm america

The difference in snow is night and day from singles and duals..I tried my truck with duals and got stuck.Then i went trough the same hole two days later with the singles without any problems.. Airing down makes a big big difference on the slick soft stuff.. But i imagine chains on singles would be the best.

tm america

Yes but the Haspin muck did kick you butt.:lol:
i make it my thing to see what the truck can actually do .If i never got stuck i wouldn't be giving it my all.
i walked through a hole where ferro got his m818 stuck with 11.00 duals .. and i was going the hard way up hill[thumbzup]

blybrook

While I don't have a deuce, I remember putting chains on the one in the Fire Department. With that tank of water and the chains, it was nearly unstoppable, terrain wise.

As for civilian vehicles; I have a full set of chains for my every day driver and a set for my plow truck. The plow truck typically has them on the rear only, and it barely ever gets stuck. With 4 chains on, it'll push just about anything, which is great come spring thaw. When I'm towing a trailer during spring thaw or first freeze, I need the chains on the DD to get up the 6% hill leading to my homestead as 4x alone does not cut it.

We had a major ice storm up in Fairbanks back around Thanksgiving 2010; if you didn't have chains, you didn't drive. There was upto a 1/2" of ice on the roads, the police were ordered to get to the maintenance barn and get chains for all tires before leaving for their patrol. Was passed by many of officers and they didn't mind one bit if you were running chains, but if you weren't, oh boy! I saw a few people pulled over because of it (one was a neighbor that informed me about it later).

Personally, I know a few neighbors with dually civilian vehicles, they absolutely hate chaining up both duals. But will do it when they really want to get their vehicle back to their house. One tried to run chains for the outside wheel only and the front axle; the next day he was buying full dually chains for the rear and some new u-joints.

Just my 2cents

tm america

KIp i sure do. i pride myself on being the most stuck:lol:Although that one was purely by accident. i didnt realize that was a old river bed and was just bottomless silt bed...opps

Flyingvan911

One tried to run chains for the outside wheel only and the front axle; the next day he was buying full dually chains for the rear and some new u-joints.

Just my 2cents
What was the problem with chains on the outside tires only? Just curious how it damaged the u-joints. Around Kansas City there's not much use for chains. They're just nice to have when parking in snowy or muddy grass at airsoft games.

Would it hurt a deuce to run with chains on the outer tires only?

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, what is the answer if there is not enough clearance between the inner rear tires and the springs for chains? We have two trucks here that have the same issue, both with 11:00's on stock wheels.

Lax

This is great. Any other videos of running chains or running chains vs. not running chains? Also, any idea how long is should take to "chain up" all around? Thanks guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks