• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change a tire in the woods jack recommendations

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folding jacks are garbage, always have been. The reason they are there in your truck is because they are so cheap to make, heck they are folded sheet metal put together. I've had a couple of them bend and break apart under normal loads.

Get either an 8-ton bottle jack (you can use it for the deuce as well) and some 10x10 oak blocks that truckers use for cribbing and chock blocks. I also highly recommend a REAL Hi-Lift jack, not one of the cheapo wannabes. If you know how to use it, it will pay for itself within a year. I've been off-roading for 20 years and the Hi-Lift hasn't changed much, IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, have you seen the HMMWV scissor jacks? They aren't so whimpy. I need to grab a few from Wayne Harris on my trip to the GA Rally.

rjinga

I got a 1 1/2 ton scissor jack from Big Lots for $18.00. While I'm checking my TM manuel, can anyone go ahead and tell me if that is a high enough rating.
Ok, live and learn. Luckly, my local Big Lots also has 6 ton bottle jacks for $20.00, and a liberal refund policy. ;)

rickf

A good scissor jack like the HMMWVs have is also a iseful too. For any of you guys considering the purchase and implementation of a High Lift jack, take the time to familiarize yourself with the jack. No only using it, study the climbing pins, learn how it works. KNowing exaclty what is happening helps you spot if a climbing pin is not seated and save from any injuries.
You hit the nail right on the head! I have been using a hi lift for 30 plus years and I have used it to extract myself from mud and rocks, properly rigged it is no big deal. The climbing pins are the number one reason for getting hurt if you do not pay attention to them. They get bent if the jack is ever overloaded. Now I know known of you has EVER overloaded a jack have you? They sell replacement pin kits. They also make a strap and clamp for lifting a wheel, I never used it but it is out there. Yes they will slide out from under the vehicle, that is one of the uses. You jack up the vehicle and push it to one side to get off of an object, usually a high center. If I am useing it to change a tire I will wrap a chain around the the bumper, jack and frame loosely so it can not slide. As was said, Pay attention and ask people who have used it. become familiar with it and practice at home so in middle of the night you know what to do without getting hurt.

Rick

edpdx

Any jack tha will get you up safely is a good one. The hi-Lift is a great jack for LIFTING- you cannot work under it... sooo take cribbing- even 2x4s or 4x4s if that is all you have OR take along reliable jackstands. Hi-Lift the rig, lock in the jack stand and then change the tire. The question should probably be: "what is a safe and sound jacking combo?"

Any jack and a chainsaw... how about that?:p

PS. the new Hi-lift rescue jack is awesome!

Hi-Lift First Responder Jacks | Hi Lift Jack Company

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottle jacks are fine on a good surface, but imagine trying to use one in mud or water. For some reason they lose their appeal when you have to hold your breath to place them under the axle. At times like that the Hi-Lift is a wonderful option.

As for safety, that's been touched on already. Leave the up/down selector in the up position when not jacking, and always have the handle in the upper position (both pins active). Don't put your face between the handle and the beam. Keep the handle under control at all times, that is, don't drop it, lower it.

Winching with a Hi-Lift is much more efficient with chain. Instead of losing all tension when at the end of the pulling cycle, bypass the Hi-Lift with a link of chain and back off against that chain, holding your tension. Stretch the jack, re-hook it, pull another beam length. Hooks pre-installed on the top of the beam and on the hook simplify that task.

Some vehicles just don't work well with Hi-Lift jacks, like a deuce or Unimog with bumpers 4 ft off the ground, and for that I carry a bottle jack. But, with locking diffs, a simple log with a notch cut in the top, slipped up against the axle at an angle, then driven upon, will lift the axle to change a tire.

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks