• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change light switches to toggle or rocker switch or ignition on?

Lazboytt

Hello,

Has anyone tried to switch out the standard light controller for a set of rocker switches or toggle switches?

I would like to eliminate the old style light switch and use a set of rocker switches if possible. Anyone have any idea how to wire something like this up?

Also has anyone converted their lights to an ignition on switch so you don’t forget to turn on your headlights and tail lights?

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dock Rocker

You could go with the old fire starter. If you do swap every bulb to LED and ground the heck out of it plus a grounding harness. Also get full coverage insurance.

dilvoy

Be prepared to look carefully through the main body wire harness schematic and then cut it up to separate things. You can make a Humvee like a regular car where the brake and turn signals work without the operator having to do anything more than you do when you get into a car and start driving. Then when you want parking lamps or headlamps you just work a switch like you would in an older car. I say older car, because many cars have had day time running lamps for years. Also it can get easier and more complex at the same time, because my 2004 Astro Van and probably many other vehicles turn pn the running and head lamps as needed so I really never have to turn on the lights, because it knows when it is dark enough to need them. Figure out that module and put it into your Humvee and you won't even need those toggle switches!

Lazboytt

Be prepared to look carefully through the main body wire harness schematic and then cut it up to separate things. You can make a Humvee like a regular car where the brake and turn signals work without the operator having to do anything more than you do when you get into a car and start driving. Then when you want parking lamps or headlamps you just work a switch like you would in an older car. I say older car, because many cars have had day time running lamps for years. Also it can get easier and more complex at the same time, because my 2004 Astro Van and probably many other vehicles turn pn the running and head lamps as needed so I really never have to turn on the lights, because it knows when it is dark enough to need them. Figure out that module and put it into your Humvee and you won't even need those toggle switches!
Any idea how to get the breaks and turn signals to work without operator having to turn them on separately? That would be perfect and then use a switch to turn on the headlights like an older car.

suzukovich

Any idea how to get the breaks and turn signals to work without operator having to turn them on separately? That would be perfect and then use a switch to turn on the headlights like an older car.

Real simple leave the switch in the service light position. Put a battery cut of switch in. Turn the power off and your good. Also makes it harder to steal the Humvee.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

I don't understand how it would be perfect to replace the military switch? The military switch is very reliable and has been the same design for 40years. Maybe you just don't know how to operate it? That is a common question for folks new to the mv world.

Your brake ane turn signals are operable when in the "stop light" position.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DCIV

I do wish I could leave the switch in the desired position and when I kill he vehicle it kills the lights. Seems like a jumper or something could be switched?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't understand how it would be perfect to replace the military switch? The military switch is very reliable and has been the same design for 40years. Maybe you just don't know how to operate it? That is a common question for folks new to the mv world.

Your brake ane turn signals are operable when in the "stop light" position.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Are you saying somebody needs to read this ?
TM-9-2320-280-10.pdf
TM-9-2320-280-10 Operators manual for the M998 series truck. June 1991.

Just make a note on your pre trip inspection list to check the service lights .

Last edited:

suzukovich

I do wish I could leave the switch in the desired position and when I kill he vehicle it kills the lights. Seems like a jumper or something could be switched?
You can. It's that simple. I do it all the time. Get the TM and learn how to operate the vehicle.

Action

Leave the switch in the brake position and shut off the dash lights. You will have brake and turn signals every time you drive.

We have a "plug and play" replacement headlight switch kit that we're introducing in the next week or so or the FMTV.

The headlight switch is quick and easy to install and plugs directly into the OEM amphenol Master Vehicle Light Switch (MVLS) connector, and requires a single 12VDC connection and a ground connection. The kit provides blackout delete (so nobody ever inadvertently drives your truck without brake lights or turn signals) and also provides dash illumination dimmer and dome light control leg. A direct fit mounting plate will be provided as well.

We're planning on testing on a HMMWV to see if we need to make any changes - any doner HMMWVs in the Bozeman, Montana area welcomed.

It's a pretty slick setup - teaser photo attached

Thanks!

20180105_100636.jpg

riderdan

For me, I just have turning the switch on after I start and off before I stop the engine as a habit. In my truck, the LED dash lights are bright enough to be a visual indication of whether I've forgotten to turn it on (or off).

You could always rig a relay so that power is to the stock switch only when the engine is powered... that would essentially be "set and forget" and you'd still have the switch filling that odd oval opening.

papakb

The headlight switch is quick and easy to install and plugs directly into the OEM amphenol Master Vehicle Light Switch (MVLS) connector, and requires a single 12VDC connection and a ground connection.
If your designing things for 24 volt vehicles then design them to operate on 24 volts. For those of us who understand electrical circuits it's a no-brainer but to a lot of new people the electrical system is one of the most difficult systems to work on. Your design is perfect otherwise. Simple and straight forward.

A couple of other notes here. Leaving the switch in the service drive position is OK if you drive the truck all the time and keep the batteries charged. If you don't and you've accidentally left the dash lights in either bright or dim position the next time out your going to find your batteries are dead. It doesn't take that long! As for not being able to operate the switch in the dark, the three lever switch is a piece of cake once you get used to it. Just be thankful you don't have one of the electronic push button switches. There's no way you can operate that one in the dark even with years of practice!

suzukovich

If your designing things for 24 volt vehicles then design them to operate on 24 volts. For those of us who understand electrical circuits it's a no-brainer but to a lot of new people the electrical system is one of the most difficult systems to work on. Your design is perfect otherwise. Simple and straight forward.

A couple of other notes here. Leaving the switch in the service drive position is OK if you drive the truck all the time and keep the batteries charged. If you don't and you've accidentally left the dash lights in either bright or dim position the next time out your going to find your batteries are dead. It doesn't take that long! As for not being able to operate the switch in the dark, the three lever switch is a piece of cake once you get used to it. Just be thankful you don't have one of the electronic push button switches. There's no way you can operate that one in the dark even with years of practice!
Yeah, no brainer make sure the gauge lights are off. Since I have a battery kill switch I don't have to worry about killing the batteries.

As for 12v and 24v. Most don't understand that you can not run 12v plug and play. HUMVEEs are 24v and anything developed for plug and play must be 24v so not to confuse newbies to the Humvee.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks