• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change short coolant hoses on top of engine- advice needed

dburt

Advice Needed- I have a minor leak of coolant coming from the two short connector hoses on the top of the engine. To replace these, it appears that a person needs to remove the small coolant "manifolds" that sit flat on the top of the head, to be able to slip the hoses and clamps on. Can I reseal the small coolant "manifolds" with something like the blue silicone RV gasket sealer, or will I have to get new gaskets? My truck is a 1972 Kaiser, with winch, whistler, shock seat, 2200 miles and 109 engine hours since the 1990 depot overhaul. I have added the muffler, 125ft of 1/2-inch winch cable, and 14-ply rated radial tires on the front for easier steering and smoother ride. I still want to get an underseat heater from Alex at Idaho Motor Pool and then the truck will be "done" until the next great idea for another add-on comes up! This is a great site, there are lots of great ideas and very good advice here.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shameless plug, I have sets of hoses...all except the heater hoses. $30.00 plus shipping...around $10 in the mail.;-)

dburt

Hey WillWagner- I wish I had read your post before I went out and spent $56 for hoses from Shuck's Auto Parts that I will have to cut and make to fit. I had the clerk from the deep dark recesses from who knows where waiting on me, he took almost 1/2 an hour to figure out I needed 1.75-inch and 2.00-inch hose after I explained nicely and slowwwwwly what I needed with exact measurements and lengths. What we had was a failure to communicate. Oh well, live and learn.

dburt

Got the job done today, used the black RTV silicone to insure a good seal on top of the used small paper gaskets that were stuck to the head. Also used the same silicone sealer to put on the threads of the bolts that go into the water jacket of the head, whatever the military uses to seal those bolts was starting to break down and leak some around the bolt heads. No leaks so far. I was getting tired of the smell of anti-freeze that was seeping onto the head when it was hot, and infiltrating the cab. Plus I did not want one of those hoses to let go when I was a long ways from help, such as out in the desert here in SW Idaho, or up in the mountains in NE Oregon. I am getting too old to want to walk far for help. Or lazy, or maby both.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks