• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change turbo on a m35a1 to a C turbo from a m35a2

2mas-

Hi,

I own an M35a1 with the stock large turbo and im planning to change it into the C whistler turbo from a m35a2. But I dont think the bolts match up so Im thinking maybe ill need to change the manifold too ? Into a m35a2 manifold. Have anyone done this before ?

Some tips ? :)

Thank you

From Thomas

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Different, but still should bolt up! That is the only turbo I want but have not been able to get ahold of.

dmetalmiki

My lad couldn't sleep one weekend night..so to avoid bieng bored he removed a "C" turbo unit (complete) from a spare lds engine, and re-fitted it to the M45 non-turbo fire truck. took him 3 hours including fitting an upright stack, no problems plus all relevent piping wiring and oil feeds etc. It started and ran like a train! (as I found out bieng wakend at 3am to "hey come listen to this!") It starts on the (apraoch!) to the button! and drives fantastic (to this day) together with a cracking whistle. no timing adjust and it is pullig 12 tons of water. hills dont seem to make any difference. never been to top speed yet but it will hit 60 easy. I have also swapped "D" to "C" and or reversed that fitting with no problem on both the 5ton and deuce. the 427 came with a larger "D" turbo unit. no whistle.

JasonS

Different, but still should bolt up! That is the only turbo I want but have not been able to get ahold of.
The turbo part number for the late LDS427-2 is 109126384 / 4D454C. If you search, you can find one on a popular auction site using 10912638. Looks to have an archaic turbine design.
[h=1][/h]

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm 99% sure. Measure from bolt to bolt on the truck and then bolt hole to bolt hole on the turbo, can't be that hard.

stb64

2mas-,
i can assure you that all multifuel exhaust manifolds do have the same bolt pattern, but the turbo-to-exhaust pipe connections are different on LDS 427-2 and LDT 465, so you will need a new exhaust pipe, in this case the so called clean air exhaust stack.
you will also need a different intake elbow.
my own M35A1 was converted to vertical exhaust by the army, and a custom made adapter installed between the turbo and the new exhaust pipe. i am in the process of converting the truck back to it's original configuration, and i am looking for the horizontal exhaust system, so if you are interested in selling or trading yours, pm me.
M35A1 2986 (29).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks