• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changed my oil, and found some serious debris...

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my 923a0 has around 7200 miles (unconfirmed). It's run fantastic since I got it 8 months ago. In prep for the GA Rally, I figured I'd put on the spin oil filter adapter, and change the oil (among a host of other things). I probably should have changed the oil on day one, but things appear to have been extremely well maintained. I've learned more in the last 8 months than I have in the last 8 years. I haven't put a lot of miles on it (maybe 1k). It runs smooth and hits the exact marks of every "normal" benchmark.

I got the plug out of the oil pan... and found this attached to the magnet (in addition to the darkest black motor oil I've ever seen).

IMG_5095.jpgIMG_5096.jpgIMG_5097.jpg

Then I emptied the bucket of oil and filter canister and found this... :neutral:

IMG_5099.jpg

Thoughts?!

restlessrobie

First piece of debris looks like a piece of either bearing or thrust washer material

Second pieces look like something cast. Such as block or rod bearing the smaller pieces in pic 4 look like smaller parts of the larger piece.

Do you have any noise from the engine? How is your oil pressure? Not terribly familiar with the engines in that application but possible locations these could have come from.

Oil Pump
Fuel Pump
Bearing Journals
or less likely casting flash rolling around the engine from manufacturing flaws.
As for the oil being black this is typical of Turbo Diesel engines I have changed new oil on a Duramax at 5k that was black as could be.

But short of pulling oil pan and or Valve and Lifter covers no for sure way to know where that came from.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was there any metal filing's? Cut the oil filter open and see what's in there. You could also send an oil sample in to be analized. Lots of ferrous metal is bad.

Good luck.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was similar shavings in the filter canister, but not in the filter itself. I took a magnet to the drained oil, and stuck a magnet rod into the oil pain while it was still open, found nothing sand-like, only a few more minor (1/8 to 1/4") flakes, most were copperish in color, but could be burnt. The two pieces of "slag" were odd compared to the rest.

Yes, the larger chuck is definitely cast. 1/4" thick what ever it is.

It's been running completely fine, no knocking, no burning, no strange noises. Oil pressure around 70-75 while driving, idles around 25-30.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks