• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changed tran, Trans, and axle oils

cyruscat

Had a fun and oily weekend where I changed out all the gear oils and here are findings. Truck had full PCMS by Army about 500 miles ago. Truck has 20,000 miles on it. I drained oil through a clean old t-shirt to catch any trash for inspection.

Axles: All three had like new oil, no metal shaving and thick, clear golden color.

Transmission: Dark brown and thinner viscosity, small amount of brass/bronze metal shavings.

Transfer Case: Here was the surprise unit! Drain plug was stuck tight and had scars from past attempts to remove. Close look showed it was painted over and never been out. Finally removed and oil was black and thin as water. No metal shavings, magnet drain plug had some fuzz but not much.

Refilled all with 85-140 GL5 and quart of Lucas each.

Results are that it shifts so much smoother and quieter also.

Next job is front knuckles:-|

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i year ya. it is a process and experience changing all the fluids. I changed my t-case fluids and found a small small piece of a bearing retainer. made me a little nervous but everything works fine for almost 5000 miles. ill split shift the transfer case sometimes, but i rather shift it when im almost stopped. i'd hate to replace that t case. next step on my list is packing all the bearings. not sure when uncle sam did that last.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks