• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changes in Forum Editing?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I often make typos that I don't catch until I post in a thread. Previously I could just click and edit the thread no problems. Now it won't let me. I have to exit out of the thread and then re-open it to be able to edit. Works OK, just extra steps that were never needed before. Was a change made that effects this?

phil2968

Well let's see.
Yup, just added this! :cool:
(Second edit) I also use tapa talk.
(Third edit, now I'm just showing off) Ray, no one can edit in the conversation forum.
Never left the thread.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No changes made for forum rules. Also you're a global mod, so the rules wouldn't apply Kenny.

Now to address some of the points in this thread.

1. No editing at all in conversations.
2. Title editing has to be done by staff. That's a limitation as the thread title is also the link.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have had the same issue since the last big site update.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?101800-Canned-replies&highlight=update post#6
The link you posted is for the staff forum. Also you never replied to my question on 01-22-2013. Your previous replies weren't consistent enough to establish a pattern. (Worked, then didn't work, then worked, exc.)

I only have a win 7 and win 8 PC these days. Please feel free to update that thread if you'd like. I think you also said, perhaps by phone, that firefox worked fine. (I use FF pretty much exclusively)

Edit: Testing editing with IE to double check.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Lastly I'll post in google chrome.

Edit: editing in google chrome

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The link you posted is for the staff forum. Also you never replied to my question on 01-22-2013. Your previous replies weren't consistent enough to establish a pattern. (Worked, then didn't work, then worked, exc.)
I only have a win 7 and win 8 PC these days. Please feel free to update that thread if you'd like. I think you also said, perhaps by phone, that firefox worked fine. (I use FF pretty much exclusively)
Edit: Testing editing with IE to double check.
OK, so are you saying doghead didn't RTFM on moderating??:doghead:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll try that. Using IE and Win7 Enterprise.

Nope, didn't let me. The screen to type in came up. It allowed me to type in it. When I put the cursor over the save tab, it turned yellow but nothing happened when I clicked on it! I had to close out the thread, re-open it to complete an edit.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is what I have been getting as well.

I have just accepted the problem exists and I refresh my page before posting or editing.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can revert it away from quick edit to the full edit. I turned it on for now as full edit. Please let me know if you have any problems with that. (This does away with the inline editing and takes the single post out to a page of it's own and into the editpost scripting.)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only use Chrome on Win 7 unless I am camping and then it is whatever the iPad 1 has running on it, Safari I think. Works all the time.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So, is the full editor instead of the quick edit better for you two? I'm indifferent to which one is used. But it's a global setting for everyone else.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now to muddy the waters - for me, I can edit most posts, but there are a few here and there that the "edit" button just isn't there at all.
Using Firefox on the home PC (I can't do this stuff on a phone!).

One I did an edit, but it went in as a new post instead. I'll see if I can find that thread.

This one -http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?127391-military-buses-in-recent-service/page4
Post 39 was supposed to be an edit of post 38, but came out as a second post. Then the "edit" button disappeared, and hasn't come back!
I don't doubt user error as a significant factor in this.

Cheers

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks