• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changes to NC Titling/Registration Laws

O'Reilly

My First Post - I have tried to familiarize myself with the process etc.

Basically just wanted to share some updates for those who might have had the same challenges in regards to Titling/Registering a HMMWV in North Carolina.

Until recently the requirements were written as such to make it essentially impossible to legally register a Humvee in NC. As of February 1, 2022 there has been an amendment to the previous requirements and text involved. I have attached a .pdf of the actually state code showing the areas struck through as well as the new form that you would have to complete and have notarized to apply for your title. This is brand new so may not be familiar even to some of the DMV staff.

It has been a project to get changes made and can be a really challenging process figuring out so I wanted to share with everyone. I DO NOT suggest or condone or make any claim as to how this effects trucks marked with the dreaded "off-road" only title. This is the little bit I know and you should still follow all applicable laws, guidelines etc.

Hope it is helpful.

Cheers

Attachments

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious what lighting requirements are there? Are the stock military lights good enough (in working condition), or does it require a reverse light, or do you need to move to the civilian H1 lights? Otherwise, this seems like a very sensible change to the rules.

EDIT: Found the referenced statutes. It sounds like a backup light is only required if the vehicle came with it, but there might be some additional reflectors required.

Last edited:

O'Reilly

I bought my M1045A2 in NC with a clean NC Title. Transferred with no issues to a PA Classic Tag.
Thank you for the comment, I should have clarified better.

It is and has been possible to have a Humvee with a clean title in NC. The challenge was the initial titling/registration for trucks that did not have a title already from another state. Prior to the recent changes it was basically impossible to initially title/register trucks straight from Govplanet etc. But yes, it was possible to have a truck with a clear NC title. Recent changes are really only applicable to the initial titling process.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious what lighting requirements are there? Are the stock military lights good enough (in working condition), or does it require a reverse light, or do you need to move to the civilian H1 lights? Otherwise, this seems like a very sensible change to the rules.
EDIT: Found the referenced statutes. It sounds like a backup light is only required if the vehicle came with it, but there might be some additional reflectors required.
In some states the problem with MV lights involves lights for the license tag. I know some people have added battery powered magnetic lights for the tag. I don't think tag lights for MVs is much enforced in most states.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
In some states the problem with MV lights involves lights for the license tag. I know some people have added battery powered magnetic lights for the tag. I don't think tag lights for MVs is much enforced in most states.
You think so... any reason for a traffic stop and then the questions start. Don't forget the trailer too.

I just saw somewhere here a thread with a nice license and light bracket. (y) (y)

Not a bright idea, CAMO

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As usual, it all depended on who you had to deal with to get them done. Gear-report(Jeff) and I among others spent plenty of time dealing with the dmv over their reasoning for how they were to be dealt with. The long story short was it was originally setup to require a dealer to sell you the vehicles. We spoke with many folks at all levels in the NC system with none of them understanding the issue. Finally they pushed us off to the legal department. I was still able to get a few plated without issues. But if you get a DMV agent that just wants to be a butt, or a tag office clerk that understands nothing involved, it could be a huge hassle. I had dealt with both. But I also dealt with an agent and a clerk that understood and helped out, eventually getting it done. This new process should be much easier, but be cautious with the agents. One I dealt with had nothing more than a desire to show how powerful he could be, regardless of the law written. Im glad the bad parts have been corrected, but dont expect a title anytime soon. Averaging about 2 months right now.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will also add, when it came time to inspect, I just made sure it had all the lights a normal car had, horn worked and signals. A tag light can be done for under $20 (if not lower) off amazon and tapping into wiring loom. Backup lights pretty cheap too. Several instructionals on here about that.

dmetalmiki

I will also add, when it came time to inspect, I just made sure it had all the lights a normal car had, horn worked and signals. A tag light can be done for under $20 (if not lower) off amazon and tapping into wiring loom. Backup lights pretty cheap too. Several instructionals on here about that.
Simply Make it right before presenting for (Any) Inspection. You have advised us well.

Ruckus69

I'm still waiting on my SF97 but I got online https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/programs/fraud-theft/Portal/Pages/default.aspx requested an inspection with the DMV. An inspector called next day and met me that afternoon. He checked seat belts and headlights and snapped a couple of pics including one of the data plate. Went to his car for a few minutes came back, told me I would have an email shortly with all the info to get it registered. He mentioned I would need my SF97.
The entire process took about 15 minutes.

Coonass77

I'm still waiting on my SF97 but I got online https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/programs/fraud-theft/Portal/Pages/default.aspx requested an inspection with the DMV. An inspector called next day and met me that afternoon. He checked seat belts and headlights and snapped a couple of pics including one of the data plate. Went to his car for a few minutes came back, told me I would have an email shortly with all the info to get it registered. He mentioned I would need my SF97.
The entire process took about 15 minutes.
I registered/titled my m1165 in Raleigh, NC a couple of weeks ago. I didn't need an inspector. I walked into the DMV with my sf97, a bill of sale from govplanet and an MVR-622 form (affidavit for working seatbelts and lighting), and walked out 20 minutes later with a normal, on-road title. This is the 2nd humvee I've registered here in the exact same way. No issues whatsoever either time.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I registered/titled my m1165 in Raleigh, NC a couple of weeks ago. I didn't need an inspector. I walked into the DMV with my sf97, a bill of sale from govplanet and an MVR-622 form (affidavit for working seatbelts and lighting), and walked out 20 minutes later with a normal, on-road title. This is the 2nd humvee I've registered here in the exact same way. No issues whatsoever either time.
Interesting. Same experience getting my M37 titled and plated. DMV handed me a regular plate to use until my Antique Auto plate arrived by mail. It was the same First Class Service that I have described in other posts here on these forums.

I did recently receive a letter in the mail though... Says to call the Vehicle Services Quality Assurance group and make an appointment for an inspection. On letterhead State Of North Carolina, Department of Transportation, Department of Motor Vehicles. We acknowledge receipt of your title application for the above listed vehicle...

Seems really interesting that I have a tag and registration. Guess I need to go follow up on their letter... :-(

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. Same experience getting my M37 titled and plated. DMV handed me a regular plate to use until my Antique Auto plate arrived by mail. It was the same First Class Service that I have described in other posts here on these forums.

I did recently receive a letter in the mail though... Says to call the Vehicle Services Quality Assurance group and make an appointment for an inspection. On letterhead State Of North Carolina, Department of Transportation, Department of Motor Vehicles. We acknowledge receipt of your title application for the above listed vehicle...

Seems really interesting that I have a tag and registration. Guess I need to go follow up on their letter... :-(
My wife got one for her Monte Carlo, after registration and inspection from License and Theft and they want an inspection from ..... License and Theft...

Rockfj

Which Raleigh location was it? I will be in the area next week, would like to increase my chances of 100% first pass yield 😀

Gear Report

One of them more frustrating parts of getting the NC HMMWV law from 2017 fixed was seeing how there is no continuity across the various DMV offices as to how HMMWVs are processed. As noted above, several folks were able to get titles with zero issues over the last few years, regardless of what paperwork they used, while others have been flattly denied even when complying with all of the details of the HMMWV law.
Hopefully this latest change will settle the issue for good.
I was able to get my M1165-A1 titled with the GP BoS, current affidavit about lights, proof of insurance, and L&T paperwork confirming the SN matched the paperwork. The LPO lady insisted that I had to have the SF-97 and called Raleigh to confirm. They agreed. But I referenced the "Shall Issue" language in the HMMWV statute that listed 2 and only 2 requirements... both of which mine met. She reluctantly called Raleigh again and they eventually agreed that she could process my paperwork and give me a tag... but my application would get special review and they expected that I would be required to provide an SF-97 before a title would be issued... or at least at the next annual renewal.
That gave me time to request the SF-97 from GP, just in case. Ironically, the sf-97 arrived at nearly the same time as the NC Title and DMV has not yet asked to see the SF-97.
But I've heard others state that their LPO refused to send in the application with an sf-97.
So, I'm recommending that everyone get an sf-97 if they want to title in NC.

I worked on this from 2016 until Aaron Godwin reached out to me in early 2021 and asked for all of the info to give his friend NC congressman Destin Hall, who made this happen. Huge thanks goes out to Aaron and Destin for doing what my local NC congressman was unwilling/unable to do.

RJTM998

Ok guys here is my recent experience in NC getting a title done. I found a 1988 M998 that an individual from NC bought in 2017 and never titled it. He got it a Gov Planet with an SF97 (stamped off-road) He had the reassignment papers from the auction company and that is it. I did up a Bill Of Sale, I made up another SF97 reassignment that reassigned his original. I printed off the new affidavit forms filled it out and had EVERYTHING notarized when we did the transaction. We to my local DMV with all the paperwork and after a little bit of explaining what she was looking at 10 minutes later, I had a title. I could have gotten the plates also but I had not gotten insurance taken care of yet. I am going with Haggerty which I was quoted $540 for the year. They do this based on the stated value. Keep in mind if you try and cheap out by giving them some low numbers this could hurt you if you need to file a claim later. It is on stated value NOT on market value. In the end title, tax, tags, and insurance were around $1k.

Hope this helps anyone looking to do this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks