• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changes to the classifeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We've been trying to address some concerns as of late with the classifieds. Internally I had proposed making a change to the classifieds where only originators of ads could post/reply to them. I proposed it more towards the fact that it would cut down on needless commentary, negative comments, and general clutter. Well yesterday I was presented with another issue. This is a morals and ethics issue. Vendors have posted up items, only to have people reply to their threads. Then people have swooped in via PM to undercut them.

See this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?119134-A-change-to-the-vendor-section

I'm thinking this also happens, but is typically unknown to our general populous. Unfortunately this is a morals and ethics issue more than anything. There's not many things I can do to prevent it. So that's why I pose this thread.

Given the issues, would making the classifieds setup where only the ad poster can post/reply to their thread be an acceptable solution?

Some of the other issues this would correct are:
Needless "I wish I had the money" replies
Needless "You're asking way too much" replies
Loss of meaningful discussion that happens in them. IE "How did you manage to install ______ on your _______"
Reduce the number of posts on a daily basis
People not responding to ads because they don't subscribe to their ads and people don't PM them
Clearer ability to manage "bumps"

Some downfall:
Loss of feedback on ads. "I bought one of these, worked great"
People would have to use PMs to communicate instead of posting in the thread

But think about this as well. Craigslist, ebay, exc. all work via the seller posting an add and relying on background messaging to communicate between the seller and buyers.

So I'd like feedback on this. Please refrain from posting any information on events that happened though along these lines of ad poaching/issues with specific members. Just looking for feedback on if this is acceptable to people. Or if anyone has any suggestions to make the classifieds better.

Edit: This change has been enacted.

Last edited by a moderator:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it would make managing the classifieds easier and would prevent the ads from hanging around forever because someone asks a question every other month.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ahh that's another good point I missed. Indeed that would help with the prune.

A little background. I prune the classifieds once a week based on last reply date. So there's times where someone has posted something, yet never replied to anyone, and the thread has been "bumped" up by people asking about it. Only to get a "stay of execution" since it moves it out of the prune criteria.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm all for this. If a seller has satisfied customers that have purchased the same item, let them seek permission from the buyer to list them as happy customers in their sales thread. Puts the leg work on the seller. Sometimes when you offer something for sale you have to actually engage in selling the item. Thinking of the site as a whole, not any individual, I don't see much this would do to hurt the site.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is very important to me as a buyer to hear about others' good experiences with a sellers specific item, not just the feedback number.

3dAngus

Seems like it would stop the poaching process, where underhanded people PM or email the vendor and try to undercut a price.

I find it to be reasonable and of little impact to those who pay for the priviledge to sell their excess on SS.
No reason why people cannot use Private Messaging to communicate their thoughts back to the sellers.

Vintage iron

I have had a few cases of people poaching my ads in the last month. One customer stuck with the sale that he entering into with me. He gave me the names of the people who contacted him after seeing his post on my classified ad. The other sale was was lost because someone undercut my price when the customer asked me to get a shipping quote. I now ask that people PM me with all questions and offers, this has helped with me retain sales. I can also say that I have had a SS make a negative comment on one of my ads. He had bought a cheap reproduction from another source and posted his negative experience. His experience was not with my product and I let him know it wasn't appropriate. He apologized, but not before I lost two orders. I am lucky enough to have loyal customer that have good moral and I always try to do my best to spread that wealth here with my SS brother. If I sell out of a product or don't have a item I will often recommend other venders here on SS. I want to say that for the most part I really enjoy this site and full support the other venders. There are some really great products being produced and I will always leave a positive comment on their ad. I fully support the changes that are being proposed, but think it is important that we all have a voice in this and that all changes should be made to the Classified ads and to the vender forum. In fact I feel the vender forum should be listed with the classifieds.

Last edited:

Triple C

I think you have correctly stated that this is an ethics issue. Therefore whatever choice is made reflects the ethics of SS. Having said that, I would suggest we always promote the highest ethical behavior. I am in favor of the changes.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm sure some folks will not be happy with whatever happens. It is another case of growing pains and we will just have to adjust and move on. I feel its good that the site looks out for its vendors.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?84643-Classifieds-cleanup&p=1088459#post1088459

I preferred the old classified feature that allowed the seller to decide if he wanted comments to his ad. The people that were serious about the item would take the time to pm the seller.

I don't believe that there is anything wrong with doing a pm for a purchase from another member. It does not have to be everyone's business what one member buys and from whom.
As far as a purchase from a vendor the price is posted. End story.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

3dAngus

So it is. It was just deleted in the last two minutes. Not sure why, but probably because he might not have obtained them yet and was fishing to see if anyone was interested.

A SSer was inquiring if anyone would be interested in bridge plates. He did not specify the color. I reminded him it would be better if he told people the color. He agreed and said they were green letters in lieu of yellow.

That's pretty much so what it was all about.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some time back in a wanted ad there was a couple items not easily described to some in words. I had pics of the items and posted in the ad to help those unsure of what he was asking for. The OP appreciated it.

Example of a help post here...
Plug wrench 001.jpg

wrenches 004.jpg

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some time back in a wanted ad there was a couple items not easily described to some in words. I had pics of the items and posted in the ad to help those unsure of what he was asking for. The OP appreciated it.

Example of a help post here...
View attachment 475098

View attachment 475103

In this case you could send an email with the pictures and the OP could post them.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that ALL classifieds should be just the seller can post. Keeps all the bumps off the main thread page, and will let the seller and buyer settle on terms "in private". If a deal goes sour, and the buyer or seller need to let the rest of us know, they can always post a thread about it on the main page, which has been done before.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might be useful to reply to an ad to ask for more pictures or specific information about the item. This is information everyone would probably be interested in. If someone wants to tell you how to put the item on or use it, they should start a thread in the correct forum since classifieds ads eventually go away.

If there is a way to set up classified ads so that replies don't bump the thread, only the OP can bump, that might help keep them from cluttering the today's posts.

Some auction sites have time limits and then the ad expires. You can re-list the item if it's not sold. If ads automatically expire after a period of time, it would keep ads from hanging around forever and ease the moderator work load, such as checking if the item is still for sale. It would make the seller keep up with their ads.

PM the seller to purchase or ask about shipping is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks