• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

changing axle ratio?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Deuce owners, and when I had my M37, I put in 4:89 axle gears and increased the speed of the vehicle. Has anyone done this with the Deuce axles ratio? :shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an aftermarket gearset. Plan on spending more for gears than you did on the truck (generally).

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Say what ? Thats an outrage! :evil: But please tell me who is marketing these gear sets...
Ouverson eng. with 4.90 at 1,200.00 a gear set plus some bearings and labor would be around $2,000.00 per axle? Or gearhart eng. a 5.13 at 1,400.00 a gear set plus all the other stuff to do it.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You.And now I am thinking about alternatives: I have seen surplus axles from 5 tonners with Detriot Lockers in them, is any of the gearset parts transferrable from these to the deuce?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What's to be confused with? 2.5 rockwells don't share any parts with 5 ton rockwells. Well maybe the fill plugs, but that'd be it.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey! What size is dem tires? And how much increase in speed can I get? Do I have to go with larger singles, or can I go with larger sizes and keep all ten tires?:-|

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hello 73m819, and syeve6X6X6, I would like to go at about 65 or 70MPH. And when u say 14.50, is this the tire diameter? How do I understand tire measurement?:oops:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hello wildboy6x6, and I dont remember as i sold that soldier a few years ago, but I do remember a marked increase in speed, and because the M37 also has a transfer case, I still had the use of a "low end" for pulling or whatever. It may have been 5:11? :beer:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So you want to go 65-70mph. Is your brake system up to the task? Remember these trucks have a single circuit brake system as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks