• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing brake pads

daniel.7575

Hi guys,

So I went to give my Humvee a run up last week. (She's in winter storage) hooked up the batteries and started ok with no problems, cycled the transmission but when I tried to move the truck forwards nothing..
Lots of revs got it to creep forward under protest..

Either the parking brake is locked on or the main brakes are stuck.. It was cold and I had no tools with me so other than a quick look at the park brake I have not yet been back..
The park brake lever doesn't seem to completely release so could be the culprit (though it was off when I left it)
I have a new set of pads and rotor for the park so will swap these out.. (Old style set up)

I notice the front brake pads are low and I have spares but have not changed the brake pads before.. Looking trough the TM this seems fairly straight forward except it tells me I have to disconnect the half shaft if removing the front left pads? Is this correct??
Any advice or tips before I start would be appreciated..

Bravojmc

It may be brakes but it sounds like my old dodge diesel when cold. The pump in my tranny takes awhile to pump fluid. If it's cool and I go jump in start it up and try to move it, it barely moves until I put in neutral and wait a little for the pump to pressure up.

daniel.7575

It may be brakes but it sounds like my old dodge diesel when cold. The pump in my tranny takes awhile to pump fluid. If it's cool and I go jump in start it up and try to move it, it barely moves until I put in neutral and wait a little for the pump to pressure up.
I know what you mean, my old CUCV was like that for a time..
this is definitely the brakes this time..

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me sure your brake pedal is fully returning of you think it's the brakes, I just had this issue....the bolt for the brake pedal
was too tight and it was binding, brakes would apply and not release, I pulled up on pedal with my foot. That old style brake setup can bind quite badly and not release, reqbuild the entire ebrake caliper and lubricate.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks