• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing from DOT 3 to DOT 5

Kohburn

silicon brake fluid very often results in pooling of water in the brake cylinders causing corosion and then leaks.

dot 3 will obsorb moisture and then need to be replaced at regular intervals (as it should be in all cars at roughly 2 year intervals), but it is so much cheaper that it really would have made more sense for the military to use than dot5.

with a pressure bleeder its no more difficult than changing the oil.

crazywelder72

After reading all this, It makes me come to the conclusion that the best solution for a "bullet proof" design that the wheel cylinders should be made from Stainless Steel. That way you can use Dot 5 and any pooling of water/moisture would have no affect in the wheel cylinders.

I'll make them if you all are willing to pay. Wont be cheap but would be cool.

plym49

There are several firms out there that sleeve master and wheel cylinders for exactly this reason (or, for a rare part that has Ben too severely pitted or honed).

They sleeves are stainless or brass. Your choice.

Stainless is tough and lasts forever, but is hard on the rubber pistons because stainless is abrasive by nature.

Brass is forgiving and is kind to the rubber parts. But brass is soft and eventually it wears down, necessitating a do-over.

The price is not very much. Apple Hydraulics in NY is one of the better places to do this for you. Just bring them or mail them your parts.

Like everything else in life, there are trade-offs.

At the end of the day, if your components are in good shape and your brake system is sealed well (no leaks anywhere) and perfectly filled with good brake fluid and if you use good practice in not introducing moisture by any means into the master, there is really nothing to be concerned about. Problems arise because of leaky parts or poor practice, letting moisture get in (for example, you should never leave a container of DOT3 open, as it absorbs moisture from the air).

turbovr6jetta

silicon brake fluid very often results in pooling of water in the brake cylinders causing corosion and then leaks.

dot 3 will obsorb moisture and then need to be replaced at regular intervals (as it should be in all cars at roughly 2 year intervals), but it is so much cheaper that it really would have made more sense for the military to use than dot5.

with a pressure bleeder its no more difficult than changing the oil.
I agree. I put my vote in for organic compound. I have a good line on super blue dot 4. It's what I've always used in all of my cars. The only reason it that I can periodically bleed the system till I get clean blue fluid. I like having some peace of mind when it comes to being able to stop.

rustystud

I agree. I put my vote in for organic compound. I have a good line on super blue dot 4. It's what I've always used in all of my cars. The only reason it that I can periodically bleed the system till I get clean blue fluid. I like having some peace of mind when it comes to being able to stop.
"dmetalmiki" you do realize if you bleed out a little bit of DOT 5 like this guys does with his DOT 4 you will eliminate any problems. So why go with the inferior product DOT 4 and just stay with the military's DOT 5 instead.