• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing Front inner Oil Seal

tklm539

Novice Question:

I need to change the front passenger side inner oil seal. I found the thread that gives detailed info on tearing down the entire wheel. Is it possible (this is what I have been told) to block up the truck, remove the hub, and brake line, jack up the wheel to level and pull out the entire shaft?

Thanks

Tom

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,you can't do that to the rears either.You can remove both wheels still on the hub and drum but you have to pull the axle shaft to get to the spindle nuts.The spindle on the back is riveted on.On the front you can pull the hub and wheel as a single piece if you want but it is easier to man handle each peice on separately up front.To get to the inner seal you gotta remove the wheel,then the drive flange(The small pointed thing in the center of the wheel),then you can remove the outter nut.Then the middle lock washer,then the inner nut.The Drum will pull off.Catch the outter bearing cause it will just flop out.Then you will have to remove the shoe spring up top.Remove all the bolt holding the spindle to the knuckle.make sure you keep all the nuts and washer behind them.Lightly hit the spindle with a dead blow or rubber hammer.Pull it striaght off the axle shaft,now you can pull the axle shaft out.There is the seal.You gotta pull it out with a slide hammer or take the other side off and use a long pipe to drive it out since the seal is actually driven into a holder and the holder is driven into the axle housing.Pretty tight fit.Slide hammers work for some but mine were too tight and had to break out a black iron pipe and a 5lb sledge.

acetomatoco

Before changing the inner seal, make sure the vent is not blocked on the axle housing, blocked vent equals pressure in diff and leaks.. Secondly, be sure there is 90 weight GL1 in there... not some modern multiviz stuff.. Thirdly run the level about an inch below the fill plug... just so you can reach it with the second knuckle of the middle finger... and lastly a little leak, if it is not on the brakes is just that.... a little leak... at only $3 a gallon... ACE

tklm539

I am having one hell of a time finding 90wt gl1. The only thing I could find was at the tractor store. SAE90 GL1 Pure Mineral Oil. Is this the stuff? Description says its for old (pre53') tractos. It is $23.00 for 2 gal. I tried napa, surplus place, and 2 auto parts stores. If anyone knows of a better source or this is not the stuff. please advise.

Tom

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Napa's part # for a 5 gallon bucket of GL1 is 65-205. It should actually be "NHF65205".

Take that to a counter salesman and don't leave until they find it.

I would print out a sheet off their website, but since Napa is criminally retarded, that # doesn't come up on their site.

And yes, I know it's the right one, I can see the bucket I bought a couple weeks ago from where I am sitting.

My local tractor supply doesn't have GL1, but a local Mom & Pop's auto repair place does, and I seem to remember it being Warren.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks