• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing my windshield

Hazel

I have to get the whole windshield (glass, inner & outer frames) changed over on my truck. I've bought the complete unit, but does anyone know.... is this going to be a tough job ? Looking at the manuals, it looks like a simple bolt off, bolt on job, but I've found things in life are never that easy !! Also, whats the best way to get tired and worn rubbers off of the inner frames...I need to replace these on my new windshield too ! All/any suggestions welcome :eek:

Attachments

acetomatoco

Assy is a bolt off job. Don't forget to disconnect the wiper hose. Heavy. Fold it down on a blanket on the hood.. The inner rubbers are a pain because of rust in the grooves.. Cut the old ones out and clean the grooves as much as you can. Start the new gaskets in the middle with plenty of silicone or dish wash soap and work in with a putty knife... sliding them usually just stretches the new ones out

Barrman

Be prepared for the 6 bolts holding the frame to the hinges to be rusted in place too. You might be better off to go find 6 3/8-24 bolts 1-1/2" long and paint them with the windshield frame now.

Don't start turning the 8 bolts that hold the hinge to the cab because at least 1 of them will probably be stuck as well. But, your new frame might be just a little bit different size than your old one. This will make you think you need to loosen those 8 to line things up. If at all possible, push or pull on the hinges to line them up.