• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

changing out steer tires on M35a2

Razor Ray

Hello all Its been awhile since I was on the forum. Here is my question I have a 1970 M35A2, I will to change out the 9x20 front tires to give me more steering and traction on the highway. I was considering Goodyear extra grip high miler tire for the front tires. But I have also seen on the tread a lot of people who have swapped out the 9x20 for 11x20 what are the advantages to doing that, higher ground clearance? more speed? Razor ray

Razor Ray

Hello all Its been awhile since I was on the forum. Here is my question I have a 1970 M35A2, I will to change out the 9x20 front tires to give me more steering and traction on the highway. I was considering Goodyear extra grip high miler tire for the front tires. But I have also seen on the tread a lot of people who have swapped out the 9x20 for 11x20 what are the advantages to doing that, higher ground clearance? more speed? Razor ray

Goodyear was 8x19,5 not close enough? So what other steer tires would match the 9x20 if I only wanted to replace the steer tires.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for asking this question, Ray. I'm thinking of swapping all of mine to 11x20s when it's time. Will an 11 fit on the stock spare tire holder?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't put a 19.5 tire on a 20 in wheel.

CMPPhil

It's been said already but worthy of emphasis......

ALL tires need to be the same size...
Or your transfer case/sprague will no like you anymore!
You mean this won't work 16 & 20 Wheels.png
Sorry could not resist put up this extreme example of difference in rolling circumference. Those are 9:00x16 on front and 11:00x20 on the rears. Picture was taken mid process of switching wheels, truck drove OK but hate to think what would have happened if I'd shifted the transfer case .

Oh, yes there is a Duce connection that's Duce dropside body.

Cheers Phil

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mean this won't work View attachment 795969
Sorry could not resist put up this extreme example of difference in rolling circumference. Those are 9:00x16 on front and 11:00x20 on the rears. Picture was taken mid process of switching wheels, truck drove OK but hate to think what would have happened if I'd shifted the transfer case .

Oh, yes there is a Duce connection that's Duce dropside body.

Cheers Phil
It'll works for a few revolutions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks