• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing The Growler Tires

Wisky291

Changing the tires on this was a long process... First, no tire company around here wanted to even touch this do to the beadlocks..Once I found a place to do it, It took them 45 minutes per rim to take off the tire..inside the rim is a huge rubber doughnut that was very hard to get out.. Putting it back together took them 30 minutes a rim.. The problem now is that it leaks at the beadlock ring.. The gasket looked good around the rim...Not sure where i can find a new gasket.. I might have to use some type of silicone.. Just thought i would share this...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh no don't use silicone or you will never ever get the rim apart again for nail hole patches etc. There was a post in the Growler forum where someone asked about the O ring I recall. You MUST use new O rings or you will have leaks just like you are. The O rings in 16" sizes can be bought from McMaster Carr.

Wisky291

Oh no don't use silicone or you will never ever get the rim apart again for nail hole patches etc. There was a post in the Growler forum where someone asked about the O ring I recall. You MUST use new O rings or you will have leaks just like you are. The O rings in 16" sizes can be bought from McMaster Carr.
Thank you very much...Big help

Wisky291

Do you know the thickness of the o ring? And is it military grade. McMaster-Carr just asked me these questions..

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know the thickness of the o ring? And is it military grade. McMaster-Carr just asked me these questions..
No I don't. I found the post I was thinking about, the O ring is 15", but no cross section is discussed. You will have to disassemble the wheel again to measure or there is also a new Growler forum unrelated to Steelsoldiers where someone may know. Maybe you can do the dismount next time by yourself. It is not very difficult.

Wisky291

No I don't. I found the post I was thinking about, the O ring is 15", but no cross section is discussed. You will have to disassemble the wheel again to measure or there is also a new Growler forum unrelated to Steelsoldiers where someone may know. Maybe you can do the dismount next time by yourself. It is not very difficult.
Thank you.. I found where somebody was talking about it.. When I find out i'll post it..

BPinFL

All of my off road rubber tired heavy equipment has O rings on the rims. You must put a new one in when you change the tires. If you run the tires at low pressures it eats up the O ring. lube them with the murphy soap they use when changing the tire.

Wisky291

All of my off road rubber tired heavy equipment has O rings on the rims. You must put a new one in when you change the tires. If you run the tires at low pressures it eats up the O ring. lube them with the murphy soap they use when changing the tire.
Thanks

Wisky291

Update on the o-rings for the rim.. You can buy them from "Hutchinson" The manufacture of the rim.. Part number is P/N 50021.. I'm having 8 shipped to me..

Last edited:

W427

Set-up for the ITVs, these wheels use a full-width (bead-to-bead) bead-lock insert and run-flat rib. I haven't had mine apart, but it doesn't appear there should be any O-ring issues needing lube. That said, it also wouldn't hurt anything to use it or preservative for the O-ring rubber.

Wisky291

Set-up for the ITVs, these wheels use a full-width (bead-to-bead) bead-lock insert and run-flat rib. I haven't had mine apart, but it doesn't appear there should be any O-ring issues needing lube. That said, it also wouldn't hurt anything to use it or preservative for the O-ring rubber.
Thank you..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks