• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing tire on A3 Combat Rim......

TiredIron

I aquired a pair of A3 Combat Rims with the 14.50 X 20 Michelins on them. Problem is they both are mounted in the same direction. I wish to run these on the front till maybe I can find some more for the rear. This is my first experience with these rims and tires, so my questions are.....
1. I assume they are all tubeless.
2. I know to completely deflate tires before loosening any nuts/bolts.
3. How hard is it for one person to unbolt the two wheel halves and remove from tire to
swap around so tread pattern reverses...??
4. Explain the beadlock inside....if there is one..??
5. what does one Combat rim with 14.50 Michelin weighs..?? I just know a fricken lot!
6. What actually makes up the seal for the rim and how do I make sure I reseal it right??
7. Anyone know where I can find 4-5 more Combat Rims..??

I'm near Denver and also have some brand new Michelin 15.5/80R20's never been mounted that I don't think I'm going to use. $250 ea.
Thanks in advance
TiredIron

DanMartin

On a slightly related note:

Most (all?) of the A3s I have seen have the tires mounted the same way on all of the wheels...so they are running in one direction on one side, and the other on the other. I wondered why they did this (aside from just simplicity)...but it occurred to me that when this is done it's really hard to tell from the tracks of the vehicle which direction it's going in...basically they would be the same track print for both directions. Sort of the "NDT" idea...enemy can't tell which way you're going from the tracks.

When I get my 14.50s mounted, I'll be doing them military style...

jasonjc

I have 2 12.50R20 XL's on the front of my truck and have put 400-600 miles on them with no uneven wear. They are both mounted the same way,one goes one way the other goes the other way. Drive and handles just fine. No reason to remount unless you just have nothing better to do.

Elwenil

I have seen many pics of the various Michelin directional tread tires with them mounted all sorts of ways. I also remember seeing a bulletin out from the military about mounting them and if I remember right, it said that it really didn't make any difference which direction to mount them. If it were me, I'd mount them all in the same direction just to make it easier to use the spare.

breelanr

TiredIron,
Talked to you at the Cheyenne Wells shoot last year, hope this helps...

1. I assume they are all tubeless.
- The A3 combat rims are designed to be ran tubeless .
2. I know to completely deflate tires before loosening any nuts/bolts.
- It would hurt otherwise. :)
3. How hard is it for one person to unbolt the two wheel halves and remove from tire to swap around so tread pattern reverses...??
- Not difficult, all of the nuts on the outer ring are locking, air tools help. Breaking the bead can be a little tough.
4. Explain the beadlock inside....if there is one..??
- There is a poly ring about 3/4" thick that fits inside the tire and clamps the tire bead between the ring and the rim. It will stay in place when you pull the rim apart. Once you get it apart, it will make total sense.
5. what does one Combat rim with 14.50 Michelin weighs..?? I just know a fricken lot!
- Have not had one on the scale, but I've moved a bunch. Guestimate 325 pounds.
6. What actually makes up the seal for the rim and how do I make sure I reseal it right??
- There is an o-ring between the two wheel halves. Maker sure the groove for the ring, the ring and the mating surface on the other rim half are clean and damage free.
7. Anyone know where I can find 4-5 more Combat Rims..??
- That's a good question.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
breelanr said:
- Have not had one on the scale, but I've moved a bunch. Guestimate 325 pounds.
Tire alone (0 miles) is 154 pounds, confirmed. Very possible that tire + rim + beadlock together are twice as much!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks