• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing tire on A3?

jaymcb

Sorry for the obvious question, but I am on my phone and can't search a TM. What tool is needed to get the spare tire on an A3 down? No tool kit in mine :(
The tire company says they can't do anything without the tool.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You use the socket to loosen the nuts holding the tire in place on the spare mount. Then you swivel it so the lug nuts fall through the holes and the weight is suspended on the hoist. Then you lower the hoist by undoing the saftey latch and lower tire to ground with socket on the draw bar.

91W350

Loosen the nuts, then flip the latch, then kick the tire to get the nuts aligned up with the holes. Let the tire and wheel free fall. No sense eating a tire iron or breaking an arm.

Nonotagain

Are you talking about lowering the tire from the carrier behind the cab?

A 1" square handle fits the bar that is the hand wench. If they don't have one, a Crescent wrench and portable jack against the tire will work.

If your tire shop is having this much trouble just lowering the tire, I'd look for another shop.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
If you decide to lower the tire by using the 1 1/2 inch bolt/cable/winch setup watch out cause the A3 tire is one heavy momma. And will do a number on your body if you are not careful. When I lower my A3 tires I really do a death grip on the socket handle (I use a 1 inch socket set).

Addition: I just looked up the weight of the tire and wheel "382 lbs" as per TM 9-2320-386-10, page 3-28. The warning paragraph on the bottom of the page says to always have another person with you when removing or installing a wheel. Having done the procedure I would go along with that.

Last edited:

jaymcb

IN section 3-9 of that TM< there is an illustration of the CTIS valve, with a short line between the valve and the tire.

Does anyone know where a line and nut set can be obtained? I have one with a crack. If it splits, I am out of luck.

This isn't the one you have to take off to get the wheel off, but rahter the one between the CTIS valve and the tire itself. I'd hate to lose another week for one line!

jaymcb

Just called him, and he was very helpful. He's going to his 'box of CTIS parts' to see if he has what I need. Fingers crossed.....REALLY want to get my hands on my truck...so the money can really start flying out of my wallet :)

flyxpl

If you choose to kick the tire to get it to twist off the carrier, be carefull to pay attention to where the ctis vavle is . During the Twist I hit the brass elbow of the hose on the spare tire carrier causing it to snap off . I had to use the hose and elbow off the flat tire to replace the one on the spare I broke.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IN section 3-9 of that TM< there is an illustration of the CTIS valve, with a short line between the valve and the tire.

Does anyone know where a line and nut set can be obtained? I have one with a crack. If it splits, I am out of luck.

This isn't the one you have to take off to get the wheel off, but rahter the one between the CTIS valve and the tire itself. I'd hate to lose another week for one line!
There is something I don't understand here. The spare tire does not have a CTIS wheel valve, weight, or any tubing. Simply mount it and use it. If you have another wheel besides the flat you removed with a cracked piece of tubing, temporarily remove the tubing from the wheel with the flat and use it. If the flat is the one with the cracked tubing, just drive it without a spare and fix it later. Or, you can buy new tubing from Grainger, McMaster-Carr and other places.

If you are recovering the A3, do not turn on the CTIS. Inflate the tires to 60 PSI and the truck will drive better without so much wobble. The wheels are red-lined at 60 PSI so don't go over 60.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks