• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing tires

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have acquired some "steer tires" for my deuce cause Opcom made them sound like a good idea. I started looking at what I have on the truck and I am not real happy with the rot. I got 3 extra rims and tires with the purchase. I have broke one of the spares down to inspect, and put back together to go on the front for now. Figures that one only took an hour. I am breaking down two BAD BAD tires so the rims are ready for the "steer tires". These are giving me fits. Since they are so large, I didn't even think about using my buddy's (car)tire changer. My process is as follows, Step (1) remove valve core. (2) I lay the tire on it's side under my 725. I use a hydraulic jack on the sidewall using the truck to push down. This gets it 90% of the time. The two tires I'm (trying to) break down, refuse to budge. I have let rust penetrant soak in over night, no help. I have tried wd40(out of pb blaster) no avail. No need to go to the gym this week. Any tips for the home tire tinkerer?

sermis

Tire sledge is almost a must. I have used a slide hammer but the sledge works better. You will be supprised how it will work. The jack will work sometime if the tires have been dismounted in the last few months but if they have been on the rims for a long time or got some rust they will be stuck. My last tires were dated 1967. If unsure, take one wheel to a truck tire shop and let them dismount it. Most placed will charge about $15 to $20 to just dismnount. Watch them and you will be able to do the rest a lot faster.
Remember to be safe on airing them back up. TIRE CAGE or CHAIN the lock ring in at least 2 places.

PB, WD40, brake fluid, gas( neat if you get a spark, I know it will take you eye lashes off if too close), soap water.....anything to help it release and slide.

BEASTMASTER

:driver: if you drip a small amount of gas all along the rim edge on the tire ,it will let the hammer slide into,and under the ring with greater force,driving the tire down. once you get the angel and distance with the hammer it will be a piece of cake.like splitting wood , flip the tire and start all over. good luck.

aboonski

I had an experience with a few split-rim deuce tires that refused to give in no matter what I tried! I even used a porta-power and the weight of the front of the deuce to try and break the bead with no success. What I wound up doing is "cheating the tire off of the rim by using a sabre saw and cutting around the bead of the tire, removing the tube, and doing the same on the other side as well. To get the bead off, I used large bolt cutters which went right through the bead after several passes, little by little, chewing into the wires that compose the bead. The tire was absolutely shot anyway and I just wanted to see what was holding it onto the rim. I turns out that the rim ring was so rusty around the bead area that the rust had permeated the tire bead which prevented normal tire removal altogether. This method is not for everybody, just people like myself who like to cheat things that don't work right! The other benefit of this operation is disposal of the tire. In our area here in Florida, Waste Management is supposed to pick up old tires that we put out on trash day but they rarely do. I cut my 9:00 x 20 non-directionals into fourths and place them in trash bags, one section at a time along with my other garbage from the kitchen. It takes four trash-days to get rid of one tire this way but they do take them away a little bit at a time! Portions of the bead go in there too, one or two pieces at a time once I cut them into fourths with my trusty bolt cutters. The rings of the Deuce rim always get rusty when the tires are stored flat, on the spare tire holder or when you are in tropical climates like we have here in Florida. My advice to anybody wanting to have these tires changed is to pay to have it done at your local truck tire place! Here in Melbourne Florida, Glenn's Tire charges about $50.00 to dismount an old tire and mount a new one - that includes a brand new tube. It's well worth the price!!!!

papercu

I have military tire cages for 30.00 here in Southeast Georgia. First one that buys one can also have a military tire dolly that needs work but you should be able to fix it. Wayne

gimpyrobb

You guys kick ass! I have used the "tire wedge" in addition to the methods mentioned earlier(to break a tire down), to no avail. I have been doing the split rim thing for a while so I understand the importance of saftey getting them back together. Fifty bucks to take apart!? I have not won the lottery yet. I was told to remove the valve stem and drive around the block by an "old timer". This will get verified in the next few days, thanks guys.

herc69

Any results on that technique? We have at least 2 we need to break down soon, too. Driving around doesn't sound 'regulation', but hey-if it works......

Blythewoodjoe

Use the hammer. It works great if you know how to use it. It wore me out a few weeks ago and I discovered I was using it wrong. It is for the younger guys though. I can't swing a hammer for long now with out the joints in my fingers getting real sore. That's one of the things I'll ask my doctor about next week. Maybe I have arthritis.

Herc69, if you want to get some practice on some wheels I live 10 minutes north of Columbia. You can swing by and I'll let you break down a dozen or so. :p

Wayne, if you have lots of those tire cages, they make the best pipe racks I have ever used. Just put two of them about 12 feet apart and you can put as much pipe or 20' steel as they will hold in the 9 sections. I tried to sell a few year ago and not one wanted them so I put them to use. I wouldn't sell them now for $100 each.

Joe Trapp
Blythewood, SC

papercu

tires

I wouldn't sell them now for $100 each.
Joe You are in luck I know you said you are in the northern part of South Carolina but I don't mind (too much) selling to the folks from the North. Here's a picture. I have 6 like this one and one that is wider. :D Wayne

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: tires

Freight Train, remind me about this the next time we are in the chatbox

herc69

Re: RE: Changing tires

Thanks for the offer, Joe, but I got roped into a 'practice' removing stumps once, and won't do any volunteering again!! That said, I have 2 that need breaking down, and I haven't done a split ring yet. Can I come by sometime and get a 'lesson'?

Joe McDowell
West Columbia, SC :lol:

gimpyrobb

RE: Re: RE: Changing tires

Wayne, could you get some more pics of that posted? I might try to make something similar. Thanks in advance.