• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charge 12v batt in 24v truck

LiqTenEXp

haha, I had 5 Ton on my brain. All my specifics are useless then. If you had a wiring diagram for its charging system I could come up with a similar concept, I think you get the idea...

Sorry

mm58

Oh no problem, I should have mentioned what truck I had in the beginning. Anyway, yes I get the basic idea and I will sketch out some ideas for how to hook everything up.

Basically, I'd like the batteries to charge from the alternator when the truck is running, and then switch to the solar panels when the engine is off. Might have to get a different charge controller for the solar

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Ok, you should be able to daisy chain at least two of them to get 24v output but that will leave you with a third panel you can't do anything with because you don't want 36v. If they were higher quality panels you could run an infinite number of them at 24v.

MarcusOReallyus

Hmmm, that sounds like a possibility. Actually, the fridge will run on either 12 or 24. So maybe I should do this:
*Get a second battery and connect in series to the other one to have 24v.
*Run the fridge on 24v
*Charge the batteries from the 24v alternator just like the
trucks main batteries.

This is, by FAR, your simplest solution. Add a battery isolator to make sure you don't drain your starting batteries, and done.

If you want to buy a new solar charge controller to use your existing panels, that's good too.

Anything else is unnecessary complication and asking for trouble.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is, by FAR, your simplest solution. Add a battery isolator to make sure you don't drain your starting batteries, and done.

If you want to buy a new solar charge controller to use your existing panels, that's good too.

Anything else is unnecessary complication and asking for trouble.

+1

I hate seeing complex when simple will do.

glassk

It's a HF solar system. Only 45 watts and designed for a 12v battery. It's three panels of 15w each
Add a relay in between the controller and let the input from one truck battery go to the Normally open terminal then the panels go to the Normally closed , when truck ignition is on the relay will energize and let power go to controller from truck battery, when turned off relay uses panels,

Attachments

mm58

This is great! I appreciate all the input guys.

Can anyone suggest a place where I can get the above mentioned relay?

Mike

Last edited:

mm58

I found a relay today at a local electronics parts place. It's an NTE R04-11D30-24. A lot heavier duty than I probably need, but that's okay with me.
Now I just need to find a 24v battery isolator...

MarcusOReallyus

I found a relay today at a local electronics parts place. It's an NTE R04-11D30-24. A lot heavier duty than I probably need, but that's okay with me.
Now I just need to find a 24v battery isolator...
Eh. Yes, that will work, but I'd be hesitant to use an open relay like that. Too easy for grime and gunk to get into the contacts. You could always put it in a small electronics kit box, I suppose.

mm58

Eh. Yes, that will work, but I'd be hesitant to use an open relay like that. Too easy for grime and gunk to get into the contacts. You could always put it in a small electronics kit box, I suppose.
True enough. I'm gonna have to make some kind of cover for it, or enclose the whole shebang in a box.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could also get a project box from MCM Electronics and the grommets for the holes and wire loom materials.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks