• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

charging & brake question

treysoucie

Taking my reading from the top of the alternator and it shows 25.7 when running. The batteries are holding 12.56 charge each and they look fairly new. With that said i cannot get the truck to crank on its own power. I recently had it on a 7hr drive and it would fire up 30 to 1 hr after the drive but the next morning she didnt have enough juice. The questions is this: Are the batteries crap or is 25.7 out of he alternator not enough to do they job?

My brakes are mushy and when i say mushy i mean they dont stop the truck unless they are pushed ALL the way to the floor and even then its iffy at best. My last rig stopped on a dime.. I know this could be one of MANY things but im not familiar with the brake system on the deuce so where should i start looking?

Thanks in advance

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sounds like air in the system, adjust them up, as you do look for leaks, no leaks, bleed them, leaks found, fix then bleed

treysoucie

I was searching for the infamously hard to fill brake reservoir up under the dash today and could not find it.. Am i looking in the right place?

mbehne

Right in front of the drivers seat...remove to bolt holding the flap on the floor down. TM's are your friend!

eagle4g63

Brake fill depends on what model of Deuce you have........A2, like said remove bolt holding the flap on the floor......A3 then yes remote reservoir.....it is on the firewall in the engine bay.

And no the alternator is NOT putting out enough......should be in the 28 volt range when charging......however the batteries could also be bad, or at least one(it will pull down the other) Best bet would be to separate them, charge fully with a trickle charger and let set over night(unhooked) and check in the morning what each battery says...maybe even let sit 24 hours......you could also take them to Autozone and have them checked for free....they will load test them.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe your truck is an Air Force deuce (Vin 10-XXXXX) and will have the split brake system with two boosters. Lots of threads here on dealing with that system.

Turn up your alternator on the little screw you located until you get 28 volts with the engine running. If the alternator won't do it, that's you problem.

welldigger

Pull your batteries and have them tested. As far as your brake issue, pull out the TM's and get to pulling hubs and brake components. To put it simply if you are getting air in the brake fluid it is coming from somewhere. Bleeding the brakes may work...for a little while. Chances are the mushy pedal will return. If you are leaking fluid then park the truck until the leak is found. You can have a bad wheel cylinder and not see brake fluid dribbling down the back of the tire. I had 3 bad rear wheel cylinders and not a drop of anything outside of the hub. I pulled the boots back and fluid came pouring out.

machinist75

Check you alt belts and make sure they are tight enough and in good shape. My alt on my last deuce wasn't putting out enough when I first put it on, but the belts were loose. Tightened them up a bit, all was good.

treysoucie

Easy fix for the electric handy capped enthusiast? My last alternator was bad too I didn't bother messing with it and went with a wolverine unit. This time around I'd like to learn more before throwing things in the trash.

eagle4g63

Most of the time it is an easy fix.......just look at the pic above and remove the screws holding the cover on, then it is plug and play.....(most of the time) once in a while there is a soldered connection....