• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

charging issues...

ohfisherman

86 m1008. rear battery not charging. i had passenger alternator bench tested and came back good. reinstalled and still not showing a charge at the battery. i changed the lightbulb too and still no help. fuses look good too. am i missing a fusible link or something? will the alternator still excite with a battery that has a low charge? last night the rear voltage was only at about 9 volts when i checked it. i know it needs a full charge but i should still be getting voltage from the alternator, right? btw both batteries were new 4 months ago...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
has the GEN2 light come on at all? How about the voltmeter?

Have you checked the very bottom fuse?

ohfisherman

gen2 light not on at all. checked fuses but i think i am just gonna replace them all. do you know which fuse controls that alternator? truck has 18,000 original miles and has always given me problems. my other 2 are well over 100k and run great...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gen2 light not on at all. checked fuses but i think i am just gonna replace them all. do you know which fuse controls that alternator? truck has 18,000 original miles and has always given me problems. my other 2 are well over 100k and run great...

The very bottom fuse.

If the GEN2 light never lights, the alternator will never work.

mistaken1

Off topic warning

..... truck has 18,000 original miles and has always given me problems. my other 2 are well over 100k and run great...
It is my belief that most low miles / low hours items surplussed out are low miles / low hours precisely because they have issues.

Most not all, there are always exceptions.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled lack of power to the gen 2 lamp.

ohfisherman

alright after spending a few more hours looking at anything related to my problem i saw a mention of a relay for the gen2. any ideas on where it is or what it looks like?