• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging system help

roddog

Hi guys, I have reached my limit on my m1009 charging system. New batteries, 5 new alternators , front starting battery doesnt get more than 12.1 volts. I have spent 6 months going over TM,s and trying everything posted. I HAVE TAKEN IT TO the Chevy dealership, and 3 diesel shops , Every shop sees it pull up and says cool truck, now go away, NOT TOUCHING IT. SOOO before I park it and let grass cover it after 10 k in new suspension and replacement parts ....anybody in hell hole California wanna get paid to figure out it's only problem?

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys, I have reached my limit on my m1009 charging system. New batteries, 5 new alternators , front starting battery doesnt get more than 12.1 volts. I have spent 6 months going over TM,s and trying everything posted. I HAVE TAKEN IT TO the Chevy dealership, and 3 diesel shops , Every shop sees it pull up and says cool truck, now go away, NOT TOUCHING IT. SOOO before I park it and let grass cover it after 10 k in new suspension and replacement parts ....anybody in hell hole California wanna get paid to figure out it's only problem?
Sorry buddy. That sucks. If you were closer I'd offer to come over. Have you tested the voltage at the alternator output while the truck is running?

cucvrus

Ship it PA and I will fix it for you. You can drive it back home and enjoy the scenery. Sounds like a challenge and it is probably something simple. The guys at the dealerships were babies when they built these trucks. I was a young guy just starting out when they came to the dealership I worked at. It was back in 1983 when I was schooled and seen the first one. The Camouflage paint was different but it was the same truck. Good Luck. I would hate to see it wasted for the sake of a charging system. Has the wiring harness been hacked and converted?

MarcusOReallyus

The tough thing about this is that you think you have done everything, and we don't know what you have really done, so it's hard for us to know where to point you. You probably missed something basic, and yet you are sure you covered all the bases. We all do this from time to time, so don't think I'm putting you down. It's just something we fallible humans do.

The hard part is forcing yourself to go back over the same ground, because "I know I checked that! DON'T TELL ME TO CHECK IT AGAIN! I KEEEEL YOU!".
;)

But I can't tell you how many times I've said that and.... whoops. I missed it.

The other thing is once we get frustrated, we start jumping around, and that makes it even more likely that we miss something.

All I can suggest at this point is that you assume nothing, and start from the beginning. Don't jump in and try this and that. Start with the troubleshooting guide in the TM, and go

1. ONE
  2. STEP
  3. AT
  4. A
  5. TIME
Don't skip ANYTHING, don't assume anything, no matter how sure you are that you already checked it. AND WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN!!!!!!!

If you don't, you WILL forget something critical. Get a notebook or something and have it right there with you. Do NOT rely on your memory. Draw diagrams, make lots of notes.

Also, remember that the Gen lights on the dash are a critical part of the charging circuit. Could be as simple as a bad bulb, bad socket, or a bad trace on the circuit board.

Follow my advice and I'm sure you will find the problem, and then kick yourself because it's going to turn out to be something simple.

Holler with any and all questions!

cucvrus

Also keep in mind you can get self exciting voltage regulators installed in the stock alternators and then the idiot lights in the dash are not needed. I had them put on 2 plow trucks that I had to work on every year or two. That is over with now. Good Luck.

MarcusOReallyus

Also keep in mind you can get self exciting voltage regulators installed in the stock alternators and then the idiot lights in the dash are not needed. I had them put on 2 plow trucks that I had to work on every year or two. That is over with now. Good Luck.

Got a part number, Rick? Sounds good - simpler is usually better.

cucvrus

Part # 230-12029 or D10SE-12

This is the part number he sent me and above is what I found with a simple Google search. I hope that helps. I am still going to let him rebuild mine.

roddog

4 of the alts came with the truck and we're tested. 1 I just purchased from a e bay site that is selling new ones. It was delivered with a test report showing 13.9. The problem started when a buddy changed out both batteries a year ago while I was in the hospital. He connected the batteries wrong and cooked some of the components. I replaced pretty much all parts. The pass side alt and rear batt do fine, 14.3. Drivers side alt and front batt, not so much. They pre test great, but after start run, drops to around 12.4.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4 of the alts came with the truck and we're tested. 1 I just purchased from a e bay site that is selling new ones. It was delivered with a test report showing 13.9. The problem started when a buddy changed out both batteries a year ago while I was in the hospital. He connected the batteries wrong and cooked some of the components. I replaced pretty much all parts. The pass side alt and rear batt do fine, 14.3. Drivers side alt and front batt, not so much. They pre test great, but after start run, drops to around 12.4.
I think the 12.4 volt on driver side alt is simply the battery voltage reading. It sounds like the alt is not charging at all. I would disconnevt the + output wire from the driver side alternator and tape it up so it doesn't ground to anything. Then I would run a jumper wire from that + output strait to the + post on the front battery. Start it, run it and test it. If it tests good then you know you have a wiring problem in the harness. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks