• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging system upgrade for the Deuce

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Last I check some people were having issues with wolverine technologies sending them their stuff.

Could use a 33si alternator. They are cheap on ebay.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Zero problems with this job
Do what somebody I know well did. Trace EVERY wire everywhere to the ground and CLEAN them all.
50 year old truck may have some corrosion sometimes.
Put Her back the way She was built and get another 50 years.
IMG_2781.JPGIMG_2782.JPGIMG_2786.JPGIMG_2792.JPGIMG_2795.JPGIMG_2795.JPGIMG_2800.JPGIMG_2804.JPG

fpchief

I ordered 1 last week. Hasn't showed up won't answer text phone or emails.

I would avoid.

BBB Bad reviews.
Yea they are slow on replies. Keep trying. And yes, their reviews suck. They eventually came through for me. I started a thread on them a while back.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
some people were having issues with wolverine technologies sending them their stuff
I ordered a 24v and 12v upgrade alternators. The 24v showed up, but the 12v never did and after repeated calls in which I was assured it was on the way, I finally filed a claim with my credit card company. I eventually bought an off the shelf 12v alt meant to be used by long haul trucks.

DavidWymore

I installed a 21si knockoff and voltage varies with RPM today. I don’t think it did when I first installed it last weekend, seems like it was putting out about 28v from the get go.

Ideas? Thanks

74M35A2

Check belt tension and battery health. If the battery recharge rate (amps) is more than the alternator is making (at idle), it will pull system voltage down. Batteries are only good for 5 years. Most people will run them until they don’t start the truck anymore, then see these types of issues.

Good field test is to measure battery voltage with a digital meter while cranking with the engine fuel disabled. Battery voltage needs to stay at 20.0V or higher for a full 5 seconds of cranking.

DavidWymore

The batteries that were in the truck were junk. Small and old, just placekeepers, was slaving the truck to start. It’s my project M50 I saved from the scrapper, which is also turning out to be a test mule for things like this alt and the aluminum Chevy radiator.

I tested and put some good used group 31s in today. 19.XXv cranking.
Alternator charged a little at first, but got worse after I revved it. Went and looked at it, radiator isn’t in yet.
Noticed shavings in the pulley center. Shaft doesn’t have a key like OEM, pulley was slipping. Tightened it up and...no charge at all.
Tried hitting #1 for excite and #2 for sense with the excite wire from the truck, no joy.

Screwdriver in front of the shaft/nut shows very weak magnetism.

74M35A2

The batteries that were in the truck were junk. Small and old, just placekeepers, was slaving the truck to start. It’s my project M50 I saved from the scrapper, which is also turning out to be a test mule for things like this alt and the aluminum Chevy radiator.

I tested and put some good used group 31s in today. 19.XXv cranking.
Alternator charged a little at first, but got worse after I revved it. Went and looked at it, radiator isn’t in yet.
Noticed shavings in the pulley center. Shaft doesn’t have a key like OEM, pulley was slipping. Tightened it up and...no charge at all.
Tried hitting #1 for excite and #2 for sense with the excite wire from the truck, no joy.

Screwdriver in front of the shaft/nut shows very weak magnetism.
Good find on the slipping. Replace it. They are only $80 new with 1 year warranty. Rare to fail. Replace pulley also. Make sure to zip new pulley on with impact.

DavidWymore

Good find on the slipping. Replace it. They are only $80 new with 1 year warranty. Rare to fail. Replace pulley also. Make sure to zip new pulley on with impact.
Thanks. That’s where I was heading.
Wondering if there might be an issue with the truck that would kill one in short order like that.

It had a non functional Leece-Neville on it when I got it.

I’m inclined to hook alternators up “proper” with excite and sense wires...seems like it isn’t usually necessary with these though?

74M35A2

Correct. Once you go 21Si clone, they are “single wire” alternators. Really only need the B+ cable to them, do the ground for insurance. Do not connect to the 2 small remaining terminals. Gravy, and should work no problem.

Your LN died because, that’s what those do. ;)

DavidWymore

Correct. Once you go 21Si clone, they are “single wire” alternators. Really only need the B+ cable to them, do the ground for insurance. Do not connect to the 2 small remaining terminals. Gravy, and should work no problem.

Your LN died because, that’s what those do. ;)
I took my 21 SI to the local alternator shop, and he said it was smoked. I want to get another, but are there any inexpensive brands that are better or worse than others in anyone’s experience?. Thanks

Last edited:

74M35A2

They are all Chinese by the same company. You can get a genuine Delco, but they will be $300 and up. My genuine Delco failed in less than a year of hobby use. Best thing you can do is keep your batteries less than 5 years old, this greatly reduces the continuous load (heat) on the alternator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks