• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging system (yes I searched!!)

bob69302

Hi Guys,
OK so I've got a few miles on my m998 now. The front battery was toast, so I replaced that. The truck then did the charging jump between yellow and green for about 2 min while it was warming up then it would be right in the green (just below the white line). You could hear the alternator turn on and off in conjunction with the charging needle jump up and down.

So now a few week's have passed and the needle is almost always in the yellow and I don't hear the alternator turning on and off for the most part. Every once in a while the alternator will turn on and the needle will jump to the green. Then back to yellow while cruising. Even sometimes the needle will drop to the red and bounce between yellow and red (like it bounced between yellow and green) but that is very rare. The needle just keeps to be dropping lower and lower. However the truck fires right up and while running the rear battery (old) is 13.2 and the front (new) is 13.1 (needle in yellow). When the needle is in the green the rear battery is 13.8 and the front is 13.4.

I took the truck into have the batteries load tested. The rear old battery just came back as recharge and test again. The front came back passed but recharge. I put both batteries on the charger for 12 hours and the voltage come up to about 13.2 and they were taking 2amps at start and finished at about 1amp after 12hours. I could not take them in for load the test.

So after a load test I did the hydrometer test on all 12 cells. All were within the recharge range. About 1.25 on average and the fluid was clear. Leads me to belive I don't have a dead cell, but high buildup on the plates (I think!). This test was prior to the 12 hour recharge.

After my confusing essay I'm wondering why the charging system is not in the green anymore and doing the electrical check during warmup is not occurring anymore? Should I replace the back battery? Swap battery positions? Regulator problem.

Thank you all for all your help!
Phil

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you metered both batteries when the truck is running? Pos of battery 1 and meg of battery 2, this is your 24volts...should read while while it's running 27.5-28.5 volts...sounds like you gen is going south.
if it's a 60amp, the output can be adjusted. But if its,all,over the place, the regulator is bad, or going bad.

bob69302

Retired, thank you for the help. Running is around 26.3 in the yellow and mid 27s in the green. Yes it's a 60amp alt, but I can't get the **** Allan screw out! Is there a way to check the alternator or regulator?
Thank you sir

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
26.3 is no charge...it's your combined battery voltage. Your regulator is bad, your Gen needs rebuild/replacement.
dont bother spending anymore time till you source and replace the gen. The Gen is always charging....not just when it feels like it.

bob69302

OK so today the truck ran just fine. 27.5v. Needle well into the green. Retired when you say the regulator is bad and the gen needs rebuilt, can I just replace the regulator or does the while gen the to be replaced?
Thank you!

dmetalmiki

OK so today the truck ran just fine. 27.5v. Needle well into the green. Retired when you say the regulator is bad and the gen needs rebuilt, can I just replace the regulator or does the while gen the to be replaced?
Thank you!
There you go..It "fixed" itself?

bob69302

Demental thanks for the help but I never used the word "fixed"! We know it won't fix itself, just trying to give the board as much info as I can and hope we can use this to help others if they have the same issue. I like to state all the facts. And I know others do as well! Again thank you all for your views and help.
Phil

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you!
the reg is failing..the gen needs rebuild. 60amp gens are plentiful and cheap. The reg can be replaced...but I don't bother.
i just replace the gen...

papakb

The regulators are the quick and easy first shot at repairing the 60 amp alternators. By replacing it you have replaced the major components that control the charging system but the brushes and brush block are equally important to system. They provide the field voltage to the rotor and if they're worn out you'll begin the get intermittent output voltages. They're as easy as changing the regulator, remove the regulator and then the brush block is exposed. 2 screws and it's out. Most generator/starter repair shops can get them for you for about $5 a set. It's a good time to blow out the carbon dust from the old ones while your at it because it can cause problems too.

Here's a link to Southern Automotives page on alternators. Follow it through and you can get the part numbers for your unit.
http://www.southernautomotive.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/22

They also sell on eBay as cage-1y875

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

TedG

What Steve and Kurt said. I would add that sometimes the signal wire connection can be intermittent which will cause charging problems. Also please remember to disconnect all batteries prior to removing the generator. Separate issue, you might find that one of the dog ear tabs (they connect it to the engine bracket) on the generator is broken from vibration. The rear requires a spacer between the tab and the engine bracket. Washers can be used as a spacer if the factory one is lost.

bob69302

Update. To everybody that said I need a new regulator, I'm not sure! I think a little carb clean and chewing gum, should be good to go!

But in all seriousness is this a normal failure? I had a battery failure, could the generator of been trying so hard to recharge it and blew it up? Ideas please!

Thanks again to all! 1443744939680.jpg

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happens to those GP trucks with dead batteries and they jump start, then gen. works like heck to charge......then Pooof !
PCB box gets damaged sometimes also.
Thats what I here from some buyers.
Batteries need a good charge prior to starting truck.
I have a good 60 amp available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks