• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging too much ??

kcbbqguru

Gen 1 failed last week and I replaced it with new one. now truck is power is surging. Lights get brighter then darker, and the volt gage goes into the red? is it the alternator or a voltage regulator ?

number9er

It might not be the alternator at all. It might be what caused the alt to fail in the first place. No obvious shorts elsewhere? Does it only happen when the engine is running?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What type of unit did you install? Civvy? Military? Was it new, rebuilt, used?

number9er

Your voltmeter is reading your entire charging system. It gets 24V via the 10amp/28v fuse at the bottom of the fuse box (and cuts it down to 12V with a resistor on the back). You say it's going into the red past the green (high red, not low red)?

First, answer Warthog's question. The driver-side alt doesn't have to be isolated ground like the passenger-side alt, but they both need to be fairly heavy duty 100 amp alternators as far as I know.

If you did indeed use a suitable replacement, use a multi-meter to check your voltage at each battery both while engine is off and while engine is running.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like a crap regulator , the 27si has a internal regulator and there is a lot of Chinese crap out there, I would take the one you installed out and get it bench test by a electric reman shop, and make sure you have what you should have,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks