• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chasing A Growl

MatthewH

I reciently reinstalled the 37" HMMWV tires back onto my M887. I had been running around all summer on a set of 235/85/16 tires, but needed those back for another truck.
Since then, I have developed a growl that I cannot find. I originally reinstalled the 37's on the same side, same wheel, but have since moved them around the truck trying to get rid of the noise. While driving down the road, if you swerve back and forth the noise dosent go away, and with the wheels jacked up, the ball joints have no play, nor do the wheel bearings.
It originally started as soon as the truck would start moving, but since playing with the t-case, shifting between 4hi and 4hi lock, it now starts around 30-35.
Nothing seems overly hot after driving around for awhile. I will drive it to town (10 miles) and back, and the only thing warm is the front axle, around the pinion area, but it has always been like that since I first bought the truck.
I'm lost to what it may be, the truck only has 9000 miles on it, and it sits most of the time. Really only gets driven during the summer months.

Ideas, thoughts, all would be appreciated

Thanks

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you have time, you could put it in 4hi lock and remove the front driveshaft. And vice versa the rear to isolate things a bit. But it sounds more or less like it's something in the NP203 since shifting it has changed the timing of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks