• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chasing the loss of power in the 6.5

everything petrol

So recently I've been on this journey to find the source of what's draining the life from the pigs 6.5. It starts right up, runs well but there's a lack power and on hard accelerations, there's more black smoke than usual. New oil leaks were getting worse. Well I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I first noticed fuel seeping from the mechanical fuel pump at the bottom of the block... swapped that sucker out thinking air was getting into the fuel supply line. It ran better, still had the smoke though. Somewhere online was mention of the CDR valve having issues. This guy swears all you need to do is clean it out- said he won tons of bets on deployment with guys who though their rigs had catastrophic failures. Turns out to be the CDR most of the time. The telltale sign is if there's a good amount of oil in the supply line to the CDR valve. After I cleaned it out with some seafoam and reinstalled it, everything was resolved. My CDR was stuck closed creating back pressure in the crankcase causing the oil leaks and improper mixtures. Once again the ground under the Humvee is bone dry. Highly recommend cleaning out your CDR and inspect your fuel pump while you're at it. Thought I'd share the love.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, always good to learn new things, especially from the guys that got to deal with these in less than optimal conditions.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So recently I've been on this journey to find the source of what's draining the life from the pigs 6.5. It starts right up, runs well but there's a lack power and on hard accelerations, there's more black smoke than usual. New oil leaks were getting worse. Well I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I first noticed fuel seeping from the mechanical fuel pump at the bottom of the block... swapped that sucker out thinking air was getting into the fuel supply line. It ran better, still had the smoke though. Somewhere online was mention of the CDR valve having issues. This guy swears all you need to do is clean it out- said he won tons of bets on deployment with guys who though their rigs had catastrophic failures. Turns out to be the CDR most of the time. The telltale sign is if there's a good amount of oil in the supply line to the CDR valve. After I cleaned it out with some seafoam and reinstalled it, everything was resolved. My CDR was stuck closed creating back pressure in the crankcase causing the oil leaks and improper mixtures. Once again the ground under the Humvee is bone dry. Highly recommend cleaning out your CDR and inspect your fuel pump while you're at it. Thought I'd share the love.
a saturated CDR is due to excess blow by...

Reactions: cwc

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Whoa that's too much!

E-bay seller have them for 20 bucks with shipping.

I bet 86HUMV and Kascar can also come in more affordably.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks