• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chasing turn signal/brake light problem...

Milkman357

Ok I'm putting this thing back together after I rolled her in January...

Lights worked before rolling....
When it rolled a few light bulbs were smashed. Now I have no left rear turn signal or brake light. It aint the bulbs... Or Flasher..

Front left turn signal flashes normally...
Right brake light works...

I followed the Yellow wire forward from tail light , under the cab, and it isnt getting any power with turn signal on. I followed wires up to drivers door area..under it....

I thought maybe because several bulbs were smashed when it rolled I might have a bad fuse... nope.

Replaced both Flashers... turn signal and hazzard... thats not the problem.

Then I thought what about the turn signal lever on the steering column? but then I reasoned why would the front turn signals work on that side....

Are there any fuses under the hood for turn signals? I dont think so...

SO..... now what? does the Yellow wire (Thats the one that runs the left turn signal / brake light) go into cab?

I also dont have any back up lights...either side... but thats a different problem and I am not worried about back up lights...

Milkman357

No Flashes..

Nope wont flash on hazard.. (Front one yes - rear no)

Yes replaced bulb.

There is no power going to the yellow wire.

Weird things...front turn signal works on that side. When a bulb is burnt out the flasher system (indicator on dash) is supposed to flash faster. It does not.

Any idea where the yellow wire goes thru the firewall?

I tapped the right brake light/turn signal wire...and ran it to left side... so I'd have brake lights. I could then get the bulb to flash/come on. I've since disconnected that.

I wonder why rolling it would cause this to happen? Back up lights and left rear flasher.. The bulbs were smashed on that side. Could they have shorted something out?

btw. whats that black box under the steering column that has a dozen or so colored wires going to it? Is that my Glow Plug control?

Crash_AF

If it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, yes.

The lights go through the firewall in the big gang connector on the back of the fuse box. IIRC, the lights are on the plug that is the farthest to the passenger's side. The first is the front lights and the second is the engine harness. Loosen the bolt in the center of the big plug on the firewall, then pull it out. The harnesses slide in from the driver's side of the plug. You could make a jumper wire and put power to the yellow wire on the harness side to localize the problem to the rear harness or the dash harness.

I would try testing it at the turn signal harness first. Unplug it from the column and put a jumper to the wire in the harness to see if it lights up the taillight. Then work your way forward until you find the broken connector.

Later,
Joe

Later,
Joe

4bogginchevys

I had almost the same thing happen on my truck, the ground inside the drivers side rear lens cover was diconnected, replaced with new wire and end, works perfect. I chased this for a week until I finally removed all the lenses and pulled on all the looms through the holes covered by the lenses, found a single wire (black) that wasn't hooked to anything.....:p

Milkman357

I will check..

But I was using one of those test probes that you hook to ground, then pierce the wire...

I should have gotten something that way....

I was wondering if maybe there was another ground somewhere...

Milkman357

Fixed!

Wow cant believe I missed it the first time I looked...

When I rolled the drivers side valve cover pinched the wires against the firewall...

6 wires in that bundle...4 broken.

Back up lights, turn signal/brake light fixed...

The other wires must have been for the 24v trailer wiring receptacle. ?

I'm ready for the MUDCOAST Rally on Saturday!

A road Ralley that goes on the un maintained dirt roads...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks