• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chat 6/10/14

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The chat system has been in a state of decline and is now out of support. I've been nursing it along. I'll restart it. But next time it's out, it's down for the count until I get a viable replacement.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Chat is a must!! Otherwise some of the old fellers like Tinwoodsman and Zout may clutter the main board with absolute nonsense when they wanna talk to each other.:roll:

If you don't keep it working patracy expect a horse head in your bed from the Georgia Mafia and get comfortable with the idea of "sleeping with the fishes".:papabear:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Problem is, it's no longer supported with the level we have. There's another client I've been looking at that works much like facebook chat.

ke5eua

upgrade to a jabber (xmpp) software, then users can either use the web interface or use open source software on their computers or ios or android phones and still chat on the go.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Problem is, it's no longer supported with the level we have. There's another client I've been looking at that works much like facebook chat.
I know you have been piecing chat together for a couple of years but I have faith in you supernerd abilities and expect this chat to be kept alive or I might just die and you will be directly responsible for the untimely death of a legend in his own mind!:patracy:

Heyitsmike

I'm new, but haven't been able to get on chat before... If it's irc, what are the credentials, and I could log on with some other client..

If it isn't irc, maybe that might be a viable suggestion?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm new, but haven't been able to get on chat before... If it's irc, what are the credentials, and I could log on with some other client..

If it isn't irc, maybe that might be a viable suggestion?
The server has been relocated. There were several power outages that causes the chat system to not automatically restart.

We're not going to IRC. And not a java based chat either, as both would be too difficult for users (and me to support) to get setup/used.

ke5eua

The server has been relocated. There were several power outages that causes the chat system to not automatically restart.

We're not going to IRC. And not a java based chat either, as both would be too difficult for users (and me to support) to get setup/used.
I ran a jabber sever for several years during my deployments and it was on a minimal zentyal install. Setup was fairly simple, server address, username and password.

But to each is own.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I ran a jabber sever for several years during my deployments and it was on a minimal zentyal install. Setup was fairly simple, server address, username and password.

But to each is own.
Not speaking on my end. End users end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks