• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap centrifuge

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far I've only spent $80 total.

3x pie tins
Brass drain
Aluminum legs
Fan motor max 7000 rpm 24v
Scrap metal base
3d printed carbon fiber peg
So far I'm working on making vibration isolators by using rubber to mount everything. The bowl is taped to 8mm to screw on, I'm looking into a different bowl design once I test the motor's ability to handle the load with oil at a consistent low drip.

Attachments

87cr250r

Commercial units used stacked disks so that the debris only has to move a millimeter or so before it's "settled". The stacked disks also impart the rotation to the fluid. Without these features, effective separatation only occurs in the boundary layers of the top and bottom surfaces.

I operate Alfa Laval MAB 103 and 104 series centrifuges for fuel cleaning. They're great. I have one series of engines that uses the spinner oil filters but I'm not sold on their value. They still use regular filters and still have a shorter change interval.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Commercial units used stacked disks so that the debris only has to move a millimeter or so before it's "settled". The stacked disks also impart the rotation to the fluid. Without these features, effective separatation only occurs in the boundary layers of the top and bottom surfaces.

I operate Alfa Laval MAB 103 and 104 series centrifuges for fuel cleaning. They're great. I have one series of engines that uses the spinner oil filters but I'm not sold on their value. They still use regular filters and still have a shorter change interval.

I'm planning on conducting a few oil analysis of how effective the machine is at removing debris. I'm planning on only doing a 5 gallon bucket with a spigot and a 30 micron fuel/water separator. Unfortunately with living in Hawaii oil analysis is a bit harder to come by. I'm also building a pressure centrifuge with a power steering pump and 1/2 hp motor. Again I'm going to mix a few oil changes of oil and have that as my control then sample after every few runs to see how well the filtering is. Im used to oil purifiers on navy vessels so I understand how these will never filter as good, but I'm only working on fuel grade. With the oil change interval I've purchased a frantz bypass filter.

I'm looking into having a bowl like the picture printed to see if it works out better.

Attachments

87cr250r

If you put a volume of fuel in and leave it running it will certainly clean it. The stacked disks units have constant flow through them. A similar size will process 200 gallons per hour. Obviously you don't need that.

I'm just a centrifuge operator, not an expert. Just throwing out some things to consider. Low flow rates simplify things. If your fuel is relatively dry you won't need a heavy phase discharge.

The old units require a water seal. Ther

coachgeo

hmmm.... issue is...... G-forces..... there is a significant reason centrifuges are heavy as shiat.... if the spinning parts break.... they launch it's ever growing armor piercing shrapnel like an IED thru the casing and can kill anyone around in 360. This is why they have thick wall casings and parts..... to avoid the unintended IED scenario.

watch out yo may be building a death trap-fuge....... or laymen term..... a "widow maker"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks