• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap Ebay Hummer

Ryanhooker

thank you for the suggestion. From the look of it, it would cost a lot to put together. Sourcing for a hardtop roof would take forever.
Not as hard as you think. An as for that matter. CA is the land of many hmmwv parts. So you could score a mil hardtop. See where thats going. There is a Hummer out there that has a slant back on it and has the mil high back seats. The owner even moved batts to under pass seat. All lights where mil converted to 12volt.

PeterD

Just curious on the H1, can you strip all the plastic and carpet out and have one "similar" to Hmmwv? Get rid of all the electronics and such?
There are several lists of the differences between the Hummer H1 and a HMMWV. Basically, mechanically they are the same (except the H1 was always the technical leader where AM General first tried out new technology before selling it to the military. Electrically, the H1 is 12 volt (two, parallel 12V batteries) instead of 24 volt. Then there was the interior.

An early H1 (92-93) was virtually identical.
94 and later used the 6.5 with a 4L80E.
96 and later had an optional turbo.
99 introduced major changes, including ABS and traction control
2004 used the Optimizer 6500 (with a Cat controller instead of GMs.)
2006 used a Duramax.

(and for trivia: there is no such thing as a 2005 H1!)

Also the civilian H1 owners taught AM General a lot about their trucks. We pioneered the concept of brake peddle modulation to lock up the differentials.

The H1 is really like nothing else on the road!

If anyone is in New England and have Hummer/HMWWV problems, either call me or drop me a PM. I do have a reasonable stock of emergency parts, and of course a great repair shop. [thumbzup]

Stalwart

Also the civilian H1 owners taught AM General a lot about their trucks. We pioneered the concept of brake peddle modulation to lock up the differentials.
They were teaching this when I was driving them (civilian Hummers) in late 1992, and AM General knew about it well before then.