• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap WMO filter

greg2560

Here is a cheap waste motor oil filter set up. I have less than 35 bucks in it and it shows lol.. But it should work as long as you are in no rush for fuel. The final filter is a 10 in 5 micron rope water filter. The pick up is about 1.5 inch off the bottom so water should set up there I will post more on how long it takes to run 2.5 gal wmo cut with diesel 50/50 = 5 gal of fuel. @ over 4 dollars a gallon no hurry ..

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kipman has MANY of those filters cheap. Before you start, you should take that filter housing apart and replace the gasket/Oring with a vitron one. After one use, my Oring was worthless.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The housings can be $20-$50. The filters can be rated at different microns, longevity will be dependent.

Jimma

If you warm / heat the oil it will go through much faster. The filters are available virtually everywhere and they are like $7-$8 for a two pack. I have used a system like this and the filters do pretty good and the life was suprisingly good.

Akicita

Would a swimming pool pump and filter work on wmo? I see walmart has them for $70, but I do not know if it would pump wmo threw the filter.
I don't know what pump Wal-Mart sells for 70 bucks but most swimming pool pumps are designed to circulate large volumes of water and catch bugs and leaves and other debris in the filter. You, on the other hand, probably want to filter just a few gallons of WMO at a time, and filter down to 5 micron. WMO doesn't have the same consistency as water.

I haven't seen the pump you're thinking about but I don't think this is a good match and would research this carefully before I went ahead and bought that pump.

greg2560

Going to run a 2 gallon batch wmo cut with diesel 50/50. And time it to see how long it takes with a 5 micron filter. Ran one last night but filter was fresh had to get soaked. Looks like it runs pretty good.

TexAndy

This might need a separate thread... but my question is this:

How are people testing their cleaned WMO before they pour it into their fuel tank?

Is there a lab that you could send a sample off to for testing? Or is there some method that an individual could use to get a reasonably accurate picture of how well his method of cleaning was working?

Jakob

I would like to make a filter setup more like what you have. I need something that is horizontal instead of vertical like mine. If I set my filter setup on top of a 55 gallon drum, it's about 6' tall total.

RangerDave

How about if you took the bucket top, drilled a hole and sealed it with a tire valve and put it back on the bucket - Then with a bicycle pump or air compressor set at a very low psi, pressurize the bucket and increase the flow rate to better than gravity???

I have two tanks right now with a furnace filter as my rough stuff filter and a 10 micron with water separator for the second one..... the 100 gallon primary tank sits over the secondary 250 gallon tank.... top gets pumped into the bottom and bottom into truck through a final 1 micron...

I pump when the sun is heating up the tanks to make it easy and a good third is a mix of diesel, heating oil and kerosene.... Maybe I should try airing up the tank...

greg2560

stack 2 55gal horizontal and run out of the top bunghole to the next one down. I would use a bigger filter. Like a 24 in not a 10in like i got.

FMFDOC

My brother had a 'grease car' (mercedes that burned coking oil) and when he would go diving for grease, he would pour it from the transfer bucket to the filter bucket through a cloth filter.
Allow me to explain:
He started out pouring the oil through a pillow case to catch the big chunks of onion rings and whatever else, thinking that he could wash and re-use the pillowcase. After washing them one time, his wife put a stop to that. (**** hath no fury...)
So, he went to wallyworld and bought a bolt of cheapo fabric. It was kind of like pillowcase fabric but had a tighter thread count (?). His wife would then cut off a square, fold it in half, and sew the bottom and edge together. Instant disposable filter bag!
I would think that the same thing would work for WMO, just get a thicker material.
The benefit of this is that you have the whole surface area of the inside of the bag to catch gunk, and the "clean" oil runs down the outside of the bag and into the bucket. (think of a solar still)
Pretty slick. No pun intended.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks