• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check MEP-003A Power Cable Connections

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made an interesting discovery today on my MEP-003A GenSet. I removed the lower cover where the power output cables are attached to the bottom of the output connectors. I had never had this cover off before. Three of the nuts, L2, L3 and L0,securing the cables to the connectors were loose and half unscrewed. The fourth nut for L1 was missing. I found the washer for L1 in the bottom, but the nut is nowhere to be found. The interesting thing is that i never experienced any problems and I have tested the genset twice in the past at very high loadings, with no difficulty. Obviously, the vibrations from the engine, along with transportation vibriations (M116A2 trailer mounted) have loosened the nuts.

I would recommend that everyone with an MEP-003A or similar GenSet check the nuts on their units.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good catch. There are lots of things in the AC box that wayward nuts and washers won't react nicely with.
I agree. There are all kinds of things to short out. I'm still trying to look around in there with a small mirror. It is so crowded in there it's very difficult to see anything. With the cover on, there is no way for the nut to get out. I did find the washer and fortunately it was on the outside next to the cover. One thing I didn't mention is the possibility that someone loosened the nuts on purpose and never re-secured them.

DieselBob

I picked up 8 spare AC boxes from GL awhile back and you would be surprised the number of extra loose nuts and washers I found laying inside. Be sure to check the cores through the transformers. Easy for a nut or washer to get stuck in there with the cables and be kind of hard to see at first.

jbk

i just got another 002, one of the things i do them is remove the side and top covers look for any nuts and washers in the bottom. i then use a blower to clean out the area and check for loose conn. anyway this gen. had almost every wire on the output switch loose and eight loose wire in the control box. everyone ive had so far has had loose wires.

Isaac-1

I had a similar problem with my MEP-701A when I bought it, I was lucky the nut will still hanging on the retainer wire though. Another problem with the MEP-701A (and probably the plain MEP-016B) is the upward pointing squirrel cage style cooling blower, it is wedge shaped and a section of the air intake line goes through it (I assume to pre-warm the air), anyway all sorts of stuff gets wedged in there, washers, nuts, conduit fittings, basicly anything that might be left on top of the unit.

Ike

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've decided to try to borrow a Milwaukee inspection camera and look around in the enclosure. I've given up with the small mirror. I'm really afraid that the missing nut is hiding in there since I did find the washer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks