• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check this GamaGoat travesty

oldMan99

letter to congressperson to have them sent to GL for sale to the public instead? I mean why on earth does a wierd old offroad truck with no armor need to be demilled???
Exactly what I was thinking. I really do not understand destroying so much "Stuff" that could be sold to the public at a much higher price than scrap. They keep talking about increasing our taxes and so forth to raise money.... First thing my wife does to raise money is YARD SALE... Why can't the gobermet do the same thing???

I don't know how many members SS has but if we all write our respected congressmen and senators and point out the money potential of all this stuff, save history and so forth... I mean it could not hurt right?

scorpion6

I have said the same. The fact is the gamma was special built for special purpose . The thing carried twin Vulcan canons, and various missle launch platforms. It is only cassified as a demil A code , but due to it's special construction and purpose it falls in with the C and D demil items. Unfortunate also that most federal forestries who have a balance of them can not themselves get rid of them . They are FEPP property on loan to the state. The problem is that they can not even get rid of them as the government demil sites will not accept them due to thier own tight restrictions on returned equipment. The Ok. Guys have even tried to send them to 4 different bases for target practice with no luck because they retain the fuel and oils in them. You got it ;the military is even so regulated, EPA rules. The Okl. Forestery service is under a lot of pressure on high to get them out because they are an eye sore. They would like :funny:someone to demil them , but they themselves are afraid of government backlash and inexperienced in the know how to start the process themselves. I have been to this yard multiple times and it is a total waste! The foresters are a great group of guys with thier hands tied. As one told me " I woul love to sell them all, but Levenworth is too high a price!2cents;)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking for anyone has or knows of anyone who was added power stirring to a gamma goat. Drop a line please.
No1, you might want to start a thread just for that. twright has a goat with tilt! (no PS though) As for the pile of goats, I still don't see why someone from OK doesn't put in an offer and do the demil. You could probably get them for $1. (cause they want them gone) We just did 2 items last week that required a level of demil. It is easy, all you have to do is read.:deadhorse:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK fellas here's how we approach the situation. We contact the
agency in question and inform them that we are interested in parts
reclamation to support vehicles that were released prior to the De-mil
being imposed on the Gama Goat vehicles(Which we can prove)
We also point out that members of our "Historic military vehicle assoc."
has members in its ranks that have successfully performed this process
on vehicles that were sold by DOD(which we can also prove) then the clincher is all proceeds (minus our document able expenses)from the scrap generated will be returned to the generating agency. This will
accomplish the de-mill plus be a positive cash generator for the controlling agency. And clear up their unsightly eco non friendly SITREP!
Who's up for the challenge????????? popacom / BILL in Ky.:jumpin:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK fellas here's how we approach the situation. We contact the
agency in question and inform them that we are interested in parts
reclamation to support vehicles that were released prior to the De-mil
being imposed on the Gama Goat vehicles(Which we can prove)
We also point out that members of our "Historic military vehicle assoc."
has members in its ranks that have successfully performed this process
on vehicles that were sold by DOD(which we can also prove) then the clincher is all proceeds (minus our document able expenses)from the scrap generated will be returned to the generating agency. This will
accomplish the de-mill plus be a positive cash generator for the controlling agency. And clear up their unsightly eco non friendly SITREP!
Who's up for the challenge????????? popacom / BILL in Ky.:jumpin:
Sir,
I will step forward and volunteer my support for this mission :!:

At this point in time, I'm uncertain what value I might be to the mission's success from my LZ in west Texas - but I DO have some connections to the US House of Representatives' local politico, and could provide some lobbying intervention from this district.

ANY OTHER VOLUNTEERS :?:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Popacom, Saying you want to get parts for goats released prior to the demil codes has NO effect on the process. I don't know that you'd be giving much back to the Forestry Dept. Without looking it up, I think the main item that must be demilled is the stripped front cab. Granted, it is aluminum but I don't think that's much of a return, though they do want them gone and I bet they might go for it. That would leave a ton of parts for whoever did it. The biggest thing is getting the dept to agree on it. I'd offer to do one as a test bed to get them to agree with it. Take photos as its done showing the demil of the cab especially with the data plate installed.:mrgreen:

scorpion6

Said it once and I'll say again. The FD route won't work as most of them have returned the goats and are now using newer equip. One FD told me that the reason they got rid of the goats in the first place was the newer gen. firefighters want equip with power everything and are too lazy to fight the steering! As for the forestry dept. They really and honestly do not know what the demil route is on these things. I myself sat with them and explained it. Even went as far as to take the demil codes and DD reg book tp them. They are under a state of flux in management and none want the responsibility of saying go ahead and do it. I tried til I was blue in the face.The kicker is that they are getting heat from above to get rid of them as they are an eye sore and none of them know what to do. One guy said that the local military bases will not take them as they still have fluids and the dept. does not have the time or want to to drain them. He said it would be much easier and less paper work to do if the base wold take them. :roll:

Gamagoat1

I have said the same. The fact is the gamma was special built for special purpose . The thing carried twin Vulcan canons, and various missle launch platforms. It is only cassified as a demil A code , but due to it's special construction and purpose it falls in with the C and D demil items. Unfortunate also that most federal forestries who have a balance of them can not themselves get rid of them . They are FEPP property on loan to the state. The problem is that they can not even get rid of them as the government demil sites will not accept them due to thier own tight restrictions on returned equipment. The Ok. Guys have even tried to send them to 4 different bases for target practice with no luck because they retain the fuel and oils in them. You got it ;the military is even so regulated, EPA rules. The Okl. Forestery service is under a lot of pressure on high to get them out because they are an eye sore. They would like :funny:someone to demil them , but they themselves are afraid of government backlash and inexperienced in the know how to start the process themselves. I have been to this yard multiple times and it is a total waste! The foresters are a great group of guys with thier hands tied. As one told me " I woul love to sell them all, but Levenworth is too high a price!2cents;)
I would REALLY like to see a GAMA GOAT with twin Vulcan Canons, Or a manual that shows same.

Last edited:

kfdk14

I was surprised that they were gone not sure who hauled them because the yard down there doesn't even have the money to get trucks for giving to fire depts. All the trucks on the old loaner program that come back are going straight to sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks