• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check this GamaGoat travesty

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent sleuthing, maddawg. Now we just have to wait for them to come up on the annual sale.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "Goat" always takes a bad rap. A buddy of mine told me they used to purposely rig Goats for airdrop wrong just to let them hit the ground. Than a couple places airborne train have some buried where they fell.
There is a guy in Port Clinton, Ohio, an ex-Marine who has one with a cable spooler in the back, tried to use it in his yacht towing and salvage business. Can't say as it did well here on Lake Erie due to the freeboard, but it looks to be in good shape. The guys last name is Brand, and they own a local marina. He has it for sale, but is asking way too much for it as far as I'm concerned. About 16,000.00. But its the only one I know of here abouts.

kfdk14

When my dept had ours we put it thru its paces never had any trouble but we did have 300 gal of ballast in the bed along with pump and equipment. Sure wish they would let get some parts off that dodge in maddawgs pic.

pittdog

man... I wanted one !.... But just got a 72.. Amg... M35a2 !!! Best deal i'll ever get !.... Loved goin cross belton lake .... Ft hood tx.... Back in the 70's... Good belly plugs.... Good bilge pump !

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....Exact location found. Note the goats in the back of the picture.......

I knew where they where all along......LOL

Last fall I counted 72 Goats. They have added more since then. I have talked to the yard guy and he said they have to be de-milled but there is no money in the budget so they will just sit. :cry:

Last edited:

pittdog

I mis them.... :cry:... had fun with them! got worried few times goin cross lakes and stuff ..hell, had to take the cargo bed off one time , had a cracked hull !.... but man !...made a great dune buggy ! ..... :-D

pittdog

:cry: aua god ! i miss them ! guess i'l just keep stairin at my 72 amg m35a2......... first time i got in one was 1974 , they put me in the back ! and took the worst road they could find ! boy was i roflBut no sweat, they they learnd me how to use it and drive it ! from there on out , they made (me) the driver !had fun goin cross Belton Lake (Ft Hood TX )

jfnemt1ff1

You just have to wish that some of the parts could be taken off. I know were to get just any part for them NOS or used but to go out and just take what you want. If I could find parts cheaper I would build another.
John

gunhog11

You just have to wish that some of the parts could be taken off. I know were to get just any part for them NOS or used but to go out and just take what you want. If I could find parts cheaper I would build another.
John
Know I'm resurrecting an old post, but oh well.

Was just at the Oklahoma yard today and counted 103 Goats there stacked and lining the perimeter. There were about 75 more that were there that were taken away to be scrapped.

Guy there confirmed that they couldn't be sold due to the demil requirements. But also that no one wanted them. All the FDs didn't have people that wanted to drive them nor did the FD want anything standard shift such as the M35s, since the young guys didn't like driving them.

The Goats are awaiting being sent to a base to be demilled by crushing, but there's not a base that wants to take them to do that.

There are still about 80 in service with local FDs around the state.

Sad.

OL AG '89

First MV I ever worked on was the Gama Goat. i learned the "dying Roach position" while changing the master cylinder, conveniently located under the dash. I was 18 at the time Private E-1 in TXARNG HHC 1-133 FA Houston, Texas.
Loved driving them around FT. Hood and Ft. Polk.......
Does the Govt. really think this was such a great vehicle that civillians wouldn't want to restore and remember them.
I even remember pictures (I think) of them in Southeast asian conflict..... Made a great ambulance and virtually unstoppable.....
IT is truely upsetting to see them dying a slow arduous death at the hands of the govenment....:-(:-(:-(

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
letter to congressperson to have them sent to GL for sale to the public instead? I mean why on earth does a wierd old offroad truck with no armor need to be demilled???

nhdiesel

All the FDs didn't have people that wanted to drive them nor did the FD want anything standard shift such as the M35s, since the young guys didn't like driving them.
So taxpayer dollars end up being wasted by scrapping perfectly useful vehicles, and more money spent buying newer, more expensive, and less reliable replacements, because some pansies can't be bothered to drive a standard? Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me a bit.

It reminds me of when my stepson got his driver's license. He wanted a vehicle with an auto trans. I pulled in with my old Jeep Wrangler, with a 5-speed and handed him the key. He said he can't drive it...I said he'd learn, or be walking. He learned quick, and now prefers standards.

Jim

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have spent decades putting together trucks that were unwanted, incomplete or neglected, both for the challenge and so that I could have cheep wheels.

Crushing these worthy vehicles goes against everything I have come to value. It hurts to see all the potential destroyed.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks