• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check valve for oil filters?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ernie, the only "remote" non-drained filter that is not going to upset the oil flow by the extreme cold is a bypass filter and as mentioned before, that's my solution of choice here, a compromise, yes, but it will get the oil cleaner.
Having said that, I have agreed to test Devilman's full-flow filter set and will report here when results are in....

SasquatchSanta

I just spent the best part of another day reading more Steel Soldiers threads on oil filters. There is a LOT of reading required to get up to speed.

In reading Bjorn’s response to my last post I take it that below zero weather could (or might) render remote filters inoperable; in a suspended state of bypass mode where engine mounted filters would be more prone to warm up and do their intended job? (Please correct me if I’m wrong).

If this is the case then Devilman’s seemingly superior solution may be the “optimum” for Florida but not for Fargo (no offense Devilman --- I’m just trying to make an educated buying decision for the climate where I live). Don’t be bashful about jumping in here.

As I’ve got longer in the tooth I’ve learned that for every (or just about every) engineering advantage there is a disadvantage.

“IF” (I’m open for enlightenment) remote, full-flow, high capacity, 5-micron filters won’t perform in cold (zero and below) weather then that’s a disadvantage I can’t live with.

John Tennis will soon be releasing what appear to be clones of the civilian White Oliver tractor spin-on modification. Given the cold weather factor along with ease of installation of John’s system I’m leaning in that direction. Going back to the “for every advantage there is a disadvantage” philosophy, the disadvantage to his system is the 16 micron rating of the 1458 filter.

I’m aware there has been some back and forth on the capacity of the 1458 but spec wise it falls in line with the 22GPM @ 2600 RPM pump capacity --- with 4 GPM to spare and --- (IMHO) I don’t think White and Oliver engineers would have used them if they weren’t adequate. The 1458s are anti-drain-back so dry starts are eliminated. :)

Sooo being the fanatic I am, even though 16 micro is a heck of a lot better than 25, it looks like my next step is to determine where and how to plumb in an auxiliary bypass filter. It may be rendered incapable in cold weather but it isn’t always cold up here.

Bjorn --- It sounds like you’ve already installed a bypass filter. How did you plumb it?

Note: if at all possible, I would like to use the ¾” NPT port at the bottom on the oil cooler housing that is next to the bypass valve (closest to block) for an oil temperature gauge sending unit.

houdel

I'm with you on the JT spin on mod. I'm a bit surprised he went with the 7/8"-16 thread size as the stock filter tubes are 1"-16 thread. I've contacted John and he says he has some flexibility in the filter thread size, so there is the possibility of using a more modern filter. Baldwin has a very extensive line of modern high tech filters (as no doubt do all the major filter makers), so the only problem would be picking the filter you want and having JT supply the adapters with the correct thread size.

BTW, the White-Oliver tractor engines did not use an adapter, the oil filter housing was designed for spin on filters.

Also BTW, even cold engine oil will flow, unless it is frozen solid, in which case I doubt you'd get the engine started anyhow. So a remote full flow or bypass filter will see some oil flow (driven by the bypass valve differential pressure). So for a while on a VERY cold startup, the majority of oil circulation MIGHT bypass the filter (even the stock Deuce cartridge setup), but as the engine oil heats that portion of warm oil going to the remote filters will eventually warm the remote filters and restore normal oil circulation, just not as quickly as an engine mounted cartridge (or spin on) filter. I wouldn't worry about a remote system being rendered inoperable by any temperatures you'd be likely to be driving in.

jatonka

Hello Steel Soldiers, I need to clarify one of Lee's points. Oliver/White did have spin-on filter bases in their last Hercules 478 engines. But, they did sell at least 2 types of spin-on adaptors for earlier tractors as customers asked for the modern spin-on conveinience. I have seen the company dealer accessory sheets on these adaptors and I have purchased,used, two different design types of these same adaptors. Due to the fact that the wix 51458 filter was designed for these engines for Oliver I chose to stick with them for my multifuel truck engines. I am not an automotive engineer so I firgured I shouldn't try to second guess their design. I have one set running successfully on my JATonka 4x4 conversion truck and a second set to put on Molly, my original traveling show M35A2 non-turbo tried and true dependable old girl. I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you Lee, I will when I find a filter that I think might show advantages over the 1458. Also, the original thread into the cannister oil filter base is 1"-14 thread. I will apply a price to my adaptors after 2 trucks run them a while longer. I also expect to lend a set to a friend to test for me at the Sussex,NJ MTA show next week, if I have them ready. John Tennis

devilman96

John.. I would be intrested in seeing oil sampling done with the spin on's maybe a before and after deal to see how the filters are working..

Also the adapters your speaking of were made for them by Wix filter... I found that in my research on the remote bases.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SasquatchSanta said:
Bjorn --- It sounds like you’ve already installed a bypass filter. How did you plumb it?

Note: if at all possible, I would like to use the ¾” NPT port at the bottom on the oil cooler housing that is next to the bypass valve (closest to block) for an oil temperature gauge sending unit.
The bypass filter has not been installed yet (not aquired either, for that matter), but will be connected to the "Pre Filter" port shown in the image below. It will drain into the oil pan one way or another. I'll test D-man's filter first, so it may be a while.

For oil temp, you pick the spot, I'm sure there will be some differences in the readings depending on where it's placed, but "After Cooler" temp would be of main interest to me, which is the port described in the quote (not labeled in the image, but behind the bypass valve). That port is also connected to the port labeled "Oil Sampling" in the image and may be easier to access.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Can I place some input here...The M62 I purchased saturday.. has an ELECTRIC PUMP mounted on chassis frame.. (BIG motor bout same size as a large car starter coupled to a hydraulic pump which DRAWS OIL from back of sump AND DELIVERS IT TO BASE (OF oil filter HOUSINGS> SO,, CLICK ON (second) master swith flick down "PRIME" switch..wait 20/30 seconds..(sounds REAL BEEFY NO-NONSENSE pumping motion at this jucture!!..then regular master swith..PUSH START..and..WHAM (fires fist time!) and OIL PRSSURE SHOOTS STRAIGHT UP)...I will take pics and try post em later today..NOW THATS A NO NONSENSE (worry elliminating) modification...(and was performed by the M.O.D. here in U.K.) when this truck was in service with disposal depot MOLESWORTH.

dmetalmiki

as sed in my description the (well made and top quality) pipe runs to the back of the rear sump...this mod was carried out by M.O.D. (ministry of defence) army depot molesworth. (vehicle disposal site!) as this truck was seconded to the britt/army before dispoal!

dmetalmiki

and as I find it IMPOSSIBLE and complicated to post pics IF you care to email me direct dmetalmiki@aol.com I will return pics of the set for you. (and perhaps you could post them. if known how.) for other members to considar..thanks.

jatonka

Baldwin is sending info on the micron rating of their equivalent to the 1458 napa filter. we'll see. I installed a set of adaptors on the Molly truck today, will bring it home with me tomorrow night. Using napa 1458 filters. Oil pressure comes up in 2 to 3 seconds on a cold start. 1 to 2 seconds on a warm start. cold meaning an overnight or 1st time start. warm meaning a restart within an hour. JT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks