• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check your VINs, and seats

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
OK guys, I need a little more help.

If your deuce has a FACTORY installed spring ride seat - I'd like to know the VIN of your truck (either post or PM me).

I'm trying to nail down the dates of various running changes in deuce production.

Thanks,
David Doyle

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is there a definitive way of knowing what your truck had? Mine has had a few seat swaps by prior owners..........

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, my 1969 M756A2 along with every other 1969 M756A2 I've seen, all had box seats. Can't recall the numbers off the top of my head but Bjorn has the data plate. Not exactly what you were looking for but just for that reason I've always thought the spring seats came later. On a side note, was there a year that the trucks came with factory seat belts, not the MWO installed belts?

Update, The seatbelt MWO is not approved for public release but if you search the web, you will find it. Looks like the MWO is dated 1988.
MWO 9-2320-200-35-1

nickd

David stock number 2320-077-1617, contract# DAAE-06-68-C-0007 was discharged from Lakehurst AFB in 1993 with a winch, box seat and a D turbo engine

odjeeper

Hope This Helps...

Howdy Dave,
Here is the info from my M35A2 -
VIN - 0539-11647
Registration - 04G-64771
Contract - DAAE-06-70-C-0001
Normally Aspirated Multi-Fuel
Spring Seat
Air-Shift Transfer Case
W/Winch (originally anyway, previous owner kept it)
MWO tag indicates it was undercoated in 1983

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Hope This Helps...

Thanks guys.

In most instances, the best way to tell if the sring seat is original is to look at the passenger's seat. When trucks are converted, oftentimes they cut the box seat away, leaving only the right side in place to support the passenger's seat.

Sometimes, however, the conversion is a little cleaner, and a passenger's seat with its own left legs is installed - but to do this holes must be drilled in the floor, and nuts are installed underneath. Factory installations use captured nuts.

Bjorn,
FWIW, the next truck down the assembly line after yours was at Memphis Equipment not long ago. I've looked at over a thousand of these trucks, and IIRC, this is the first time I've found sequential numbers.

Thanks again.
David

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Hope This Helps...

Interesting, my M49 fuel tanker came from Camp LeJeune, NC. DRMO style, where I "won" that auction in 1995, it was a USMC truck. I drove it home without problems. About 350 miles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks