• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Checked out MEP-003

steelandcanvas

I was out in the shop yesterday putting some parts away and realized I had not started the genset since last Summer. The batteries have been on a Battery-Minder Maintainer, so the batteries better be up, I'll check and see. Past experience has told me to crack open the fuel filter bleeders and run the pumps for a few seconds and then close the bleeders. I turned on the glow plugs for about 20 seconds and then to the start position. She lit right off, albeit running a little smoky and rough. I let go of the switch in the start position, but oil pressure had not built up enough to close the safety circuit, so I immediately turned back the start position. She took about 15 seconds to smooth out and gain enough RPM to run on her own. After letting her warm up a bit, I opened the main breaker to the house service and closed the breaker from the genset. (I advised Mrs Steel I was doing this) I now had the shop and the house being powered by the genset. She had the washer and the dryer (gas) going, along with the furnace (gas) and some lights on. I had all the lights on in the shop, 175 watts X 6, an 8 foot fluorescent, a 250 watt baseboard heater, and started my 5 HP air compressor. She barked a little when I started the compressor, but came right back up to full RPM quickly. Without the compressor, I was running at 25% load according to the meter, with compressor, I was right about 50% load. I ran the genset for about 30 minutes and I'm very happy with it's performance, it will clearly be a trusted friend in the event of a power grid outage.

Grega

It scares me when it takes so long for oil pressure to build up, especially after an oil filter change. I converted to a spin on oil filter a month ago and havnt started the generator since then. But I hope the spin oil filter retains oil better than the canister type.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week I put my Mep002A to test, what a great feeling, glad to have one. How do you hook up the battery maintainers???????? 24-volt. Also parts I got from Jerry(storeman) work like new?????roflrofl

steelandcanvas

How do you hook up the battery maintainers???????? 24-volt. Also parts I got from Jerry(storeman) work like new?????roflrofl
I removed the alligator clamps from the battery maintainer wires and installed a NATO plug. Works on the Deuce and the genset. Or you put the red + (goes to the starter) on one battery and the black - (goes to the frame) on the other battery. Don't make any connections to the "dogbone".

It scares me when it takes so long for oil pressure to build up, especially after an oil filter change.
Yeah, I hear you. It's kind of hard to hang on to that switch in the start position, after its already started.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks