• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Checking in from Alaska

Jake907

Hi everyone, checking in from the north land. This site has so much good info, many thanks to whoever put all this together. My goal is to learn as much as I can here, I want to do a bobbed deuce when I can. I think it would be an absolutely perfect vehicle for my needs (firewood, hunting, homestead, snow plow)

Anyways, if anyone has tips, tricks or advice for me I would sure appreciate it, thanks in advance!

Another Ahab

Welcome Jake 907, from down in the Lower 48 here in the Old Dominion State of Virginia.

Advice? Start with thread searches on your topics of interest anytime you get a few minutes to spend on-line. There is a whole lot of wisdom, hard-earned experience, and valuable opinion to be found here.

Wondering what part of the State you're in? I mean, Alaska is a mighty BIG spot. Where you at, if you don't mind saying?

Jake907

Hey guys, Thanks for the advice Ahab, I appreciate it. The daylight is pretty scarce this time of year, about 4 or 5 hrs of sunlight per day until after the solstice. I live in the South-Central part of the state, just north of Valdez.

Another Ahab

Hey guys, Thanks for the advice Ahab, I appreciate it. The daylight is pretty scarce this time of year, about 4 or 5 hrs of sunlight per day until after the solstice. I live in the South-Central part of the state, just north of Valdez.
Yeah, I know it. Never been there, but I have a couple of buddies I grew up with around here who both now live in Anchorage, just a little West of you.

One of them drops down here into the Lower 48 on occasion, and always makes fun of the fuss here when people get sight of a Bald Eagle (which you do see in DC along the Potomac River now and then). In fact saw one over Arlington Cemetery just the other day. Says in Anchorage they call them "Sea Starlings" (got so many of them there that they're actually a nuisance). That's a hoot.

You see many other MV's up in Valdez?

Last edited:

Jake907

ya, lol, in some places they gather at the dump and swarm you when you try to go there, you have to kick them out of the way :) not exactly the image you might expect from our national symbol (despite how fitting it may seem at times)

Jake907

MV's? yes, there are lots of them. Mostly Deuces, but sometimes a chevy pickup, or a blazer, even a couple ambulances.

Another Ahab

MV's? yes, there are lots of them. Mostly Deuces, but sometimes a chevy pickup, or a blazer, even a couple ambulances.
Ambulances? No kidding. Don't recall seeing many threads about them.

Can you please post a few photos for us here if you ever get the chance? We like to see what's rolling out there.

Jake907

Sure thing, I love seeing them around too. In our area there are a several really nice MV's that make the 4th of July parade every year.

Another Ahab

ya, lol, in some places they gather at the dump and swarm you when you try to go there, you have to kick them out of the way :) not exactly the image you might expect from our national symbol (despite how fitting it may seem at times)
That adds up because one of the best places here to sight Bald Eagles around the Nation's Capital is "Mount Trashmore": the reclaimed landfill of Fairfax County VA.

It's one of the highest spots in this Coastal Plain area (until you get into the Piedmont a little more west). It might be the seagulls there that attract them:

- My Alaska buds say that Bald Eagles are mostly bullies and kind of lazy: chasing Ospreys and then grabbing their fish once they drop them (and some amazing catches apparently).

- Maybe they do the same thing to the gulls at Mt. Trashmore.

Kind of funny.

Last edited:

akfonzy

Jake: I'm a fellow Alaskan. I live a ways away from you (Healy) but welcome. Have you checked out the Deuce for sale in Valdez? It's on CL if you are looking for one.

Jake907

Jake: I'm a fellow Alaskan. I live a ways away from you (Healy) but welcome. Have you checked out the Deuce for sale in Valdez? It's on CL if you are looking for one.
Thanks! Ya, i saw it on there a couple weeks ago. And theres another one on Alaska's list in Fairbanks, but the guy got water in the engine, says all it needs it head gaskets but......

Anyhow, I would love to one but dont have the money right now. Just bought a new tool box. Lol

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you ever need a hand I'm in Valdez, well most of the time. There is a m36 here in Valdez for sale, its on the sales cycle. It needs a bunch of work.

Another Ahab

Thanks Matt, its funny how the "needs work" part never made it into the ad. :razz:
And it usually doesn't. Ever hear of W.C. Fields?

If you only learn TWO words of Latin in your entire life, go for these:

- Caveat Emptor

Because each and everybody should know a little Latin (even if it's just this tiny, tiny bit).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks