• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Checking Turbocharger

WhoMe08721

Hey guys,

Was trying to tell if my turbo was working in my M35a2. I attach a pressure gage to the top of the inlet manifold and the needle never moved at 1,500 rpm or at 2,000 rpm. Also I found some oil leaking between the manifold and the turbo charger today. Also how would I identify what turbo charger???

I have also attach some picture

Thanks
Checking Turbocharger.jpgOil Leak.jpgPressure At 1500rpm.jpgPressure At 2000rpm.JPGPressure At Idling.jpgSet Up.jpgTurbocharger.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you checked to see if it spins? Pull the intake hose off and start it up, does it spin?

Pull the exhaust off and see what kind of play the shaft has, shouldn't be much.

If theres indication the wheels hit the side of the housing, its time for a new turbo.

snowtrac nome

With no load on the engine you wont show much boost if any. If the turbo rotor spins free and has no excessive play it will be capable of making boost. If the turbo mechanically checks out and it wont build boost you have another problem usually fuel related.

WhoMe08721

Been driving through town when making these test, it spins free but little play to left and right don't hear it only can feel it when pushing and pulling on it , Also I found some oil leaking between the manifold and the turbo charger today. Was thinking maybe it coming form the oil for the turbo charger. Also the truck started to blow more gray smoke then it every has.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No, you have a "D" turbo.

Have you tried to spin the impellers while holding one still? The shaft could be broken.

snowtrac nome

You also should look for leakage at the boost tubes, grey or blue smoke usually indicates in complete combustion either from not running hard enough, incorrect timing or lean miss fire

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no reason the gauge in his pictures will not work for test purposes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks