• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chemical Preservative Wrecker cables?

Augdog1964

Hey all,

Just picked up my M936 and wondering if there is any chemical preservative or coating that should be applied to the cables of the winch and crane?

Thanks!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Any good cable lube, should be light enough to penetrate, thick enough to stick, it more important to get/ keep the interior of the cable lubed then the outside, this keeps it from rusting on the inside and as the wires move in the cable, thay are NOT metal to metal'

I like a good spary can, you could use as much as three cans or even more to get ALL the cables

On a fiber core cable it is IMPORTANT to lube enough that when tension is put on the cable and it compress as it pulls tight, lube WILL be squeezed out of the cable, other wise the fiber core WILL suck in and hold moisture, this WILL rust the inside of the cable making for a VERY dangerous cable (looks good on the outside but crap on the inside)

Last edited:

Kalashnikov

I usually use some combo of motor oil and PB blaster or hydraulic or gear oil. Make the cable look new again and removes any light rust on the outside.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I usually use some combo of motor oil and PB blaster or hydraulic or gear oil. Make the cable look new again and removes any light rust on the outside.
It is the INSIDE that is INPORTANT, I would NOT use atf, gear oil is way to thick, pb blaster is not a lube, wire rope lube has high shere additives to help the wires move as the cable tightens up but not squeeze the lube out

emr

73m819 is correct it is very important to use a lubricant that was made for wire rope, other will deteriorate the rope for sure, used motor oil has alot of bad stuff in it for the rope, ..

Last edited:

135gmc

The military uses motor oil - if you do so, use new oil, not drain oil. My personal favorite is LPS - 3. It has a solvent in it that helps it penetrate, and the residue is a tacky oil. It smells a lot like cosmolene, so you could possibly also use solvent-based cosmolene as well.

Kalashnikov

It is the INSIDE that is INPORTANT, I would NOT use atf, gear oil is way to thick, pb blaster is not a lube, wire rope lube has high shere additives to help the wires move as the cable tightens up but not squeeze the lube out
PB blaster is a penetrating oil which thins the other oils. I know the inside is important but the outside is too. It has held up well on the winch cable of multiple winches I've used and that have been abused by other people who don't know how to properly spool cables and makes bird nests out of them.

It is certainly better than not lubing the cable which most people are probably guilty of.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
PB blaster is a penetrating oil which thins the other oils. I know the inside is important but the outside is too. It has held up well on the winch cable of multiple winches I've used and that have been abused by other people who don't know how to properly spool cables and makes bird nests out of them.

It is certainly better than not lubing the cable which most people are probably guilty of.
So true, anything is better then nothing, though you have to be careful what you use, especially with a fiber core, some things WILL attack the core and either eat it or rot it, either way not good

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks