• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy D10 M1009 Transmission help!

USAFjwag

Hello everyone, I am new to this site, just picked up my first military truck, a chevy blazer M1009. I picked it up for a steal at 600 bucks off this lady I know who's husband passed on. It has 70,000 original miles on the 6.2 diesel motor. The only issue I can tell it is having right now is the transmission slips after about 10 minutes of driving. Basically once it heats up. I am going to have the tranny rebuilt by a professional, but first I was going to see if any of you on SS knew how to drop the transmission, if you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it! Or if you know of any walkthroughs/alldata on it that would be great too, Thanks!

-Jason

Barrman

Forget Alldata. The military had something much, much better. The Technical Manual. Go here to find, download, print them all:

JATONKA's CUCV TM download page

The last two digits are the numbers everybody uses when discussing the TM's. The -10 is like a civilian owners manual. The -20 is basic maintenance and troubleshooting. The -34 is taking things apart to the smallest piece and putting them back together. All written so a slow 5th grader could figure it out. The ones ending in P are exploded view drawings of all the parts with part numbers listed for each and every piece. GM part numbers so all you have to do is search that number and you have the part at a store near you.

USAFjwag

Hey, thanks Barrman, looks like very useful stuff! Under which category would I find the transmission information?

Forget Alldata. The military had something much, much better. The Technical Manual. Go here to find, download, print them all:

JATONKA's CUCV TM download page

The last two digits are the numbers everybody uses when discussing the TM's. The -10 is like a civilian owners manual. The -20 is basic maintenance and troubleshooting. The -34 is taking things apart to the smallest piece and putting them back together. All written so a slow 5th grader could figure it out. The ones ending in P are exploded view drawings of all the parts with part numbers listed for each and every piece. GM part numbers so all you have to do is search that number and you have the part at a store near you.

USAFjwag

-20 for trying to troubleshoot your problem and -34 for how to remove and rebuild it.
The transmission pictured in the manual does not resemble the one under my m1009 at all. You are right about the manual being written out so a 5th grader could figure it out though! I have no idea what to do. I guess my next question would be does the transmission help in that manual match the transmission I have on the vehicle?

axlr8

I believe that is the transfer case? trans looks like a cone sort of, the tcase switches from 2 wheel drive to 4 h and 4 low.

USAFjwag

I believe that is the transfer case? trans looks like a cone sort of, the tcase switches from 2 wheel drive to 4 h and 4 low.
So I would have to separate the transfer case from the transmission in order to drop the transmission? I have not done a lot of transmission work if you couldn't tell. Did these all come standard with a turbo hydramatic 400?

axlr8

Your best bet is to probably take it to the re builder, he will drop her for you, and then ask him ?'s I wouldn't know specs on the cucv's but if your going to do and PM ( personal Maintenance) you better know them TM's (tech manuals) by the back of your hand. It will help, in the long run. How do you know it is transmission?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty straight forward mechanical procedure to drop a trans.
Based on your questions, you do not have the mechanical aptitude / experience to do this yourself safely.
from 1973 to 1987 on trucks and 1990ish on Blazers, the trans / transfercase setup on the Chevy is the same . If you have a friend that has done this type of auto repair in the past, have them help you out.
If not, take the vehicle to a reputable shop.

Yes, TH400

Last edited:

axlr8

I 100% agree with Bob h! BUT! If you need or want to learn, take it apart slowly and carefully. I have a few snowmobiles. I got sick of seeing that parts sled in the yard....so I took it apart, replaced almost everything broken. (Oem engine rebuild, oem bearings, full set of all lubrication. strengthened frame rebuilt shocks. And all I used were some hand tools, and about 600 dollars. It now only needs some minor parts but is one of the most trust-able snowmobiles I own. I personally tightened every bolt, checked all alignments, and now.....I have 2 addictions. one for MV's (I need my first still) and My sleds. Good Luck sir!

Patience is a Virtue remember this. And Money, as I've heard, helps alot!

USAFjwag

Your best bet is to probably take it to the re builder, he will drop her for you, and then ask him ?'s I wouldn't know specs on the cucv's but if your going to do and PM ( personal Maintenance) you better know them TM's (tech manuals) by the back of your hand. It will help, in the long run. How do you know it is transmission?
Well the lady that I bought it from, her husband was a gear head. This thing already had new alternators, batteries, filters, tires, brake MC. Anyway he had told her that the transmission slipped after about ten minutes of driving. Basically once everything gets up to operating temp. But as for taking it to a rebuilder and having them drop it that will cost me more in the long run. I am mechanically inclined, and I would like to get familiar with the truck, I just couldn't find the proper data on dropping it in the TM. I was quoted 600 on a rebuild if I drop the tranny, and like 900-1000 if I didn't

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read TM 9-2320-289-34, Chapter 5-12.

It covers step by step on how to remove the transfer case and then the transmission.

You may even want to try a rebuild yourself. If so order, a rebuild guide of of epay.

I have never rebuilt one but I will be rebuilding two in the next month.

USAFjwag

Well, I think the starter is bad now, I went to fire it up for the first time ever today, and it just wouldn't crank over. Made a reeeear reeeeear noise when I turned the key over, kind of like its not grabbing the flywheel or something but I inspected both the flwheel, and the started both seemed to be fine. I have no idea what is going on. This is turning out to be an epic FAIL. I was hoping to have this thing ready before winter hit.