• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy V8 mated with a TF727 M880

Bacto

About a year ago i bought my very first car a Dodge W200 1976 completely orginal. Loved it to bits. Drove it around alot had a blast, but it felt a bit sluggish and then i thought to myself, bigger engine = more fun !

So being a total novice in the field of cars and engines, i allied myself with a friend who knew "everything" about american cars and V8's, truned out he didnt know jack. Anyways i bought a Chevy SB 350, thinking that a smallblock was a smallblock, regardless of make and model.

So now im kinda stuck with the engine, seems like a god and sound engine, except it doesnt fit in my truck. So after a few days of talking to guys who actually knew what they where talking about, told me to find an adapter plate. I did thanks to this site and you guys =)

My question is this useing an adapter like this 712572-A | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters

Would it even fit my transmission ?

Where can i get a Scout torque converter ?

I know the easy way to do it would be to get a mopar smallblock of some sort, but since i live in Denmark (Scandinavia) there arent really any lieing around. The ones you can buy here cost around 6-8000dollars and thats just the bare engine.

btw doing a complete rebuild , new paint and some rust repair. Heres a pic of work in progress (had a little problem with leaking radiator fluid, thats why the whole engine is red)

Attachments

Cucvnut

Yes that should work unless your motor is a post 86 sbc. have you ever thought of trying to get a motor shipped from here to you ?

where in Denmark are you ? My friend owns 2 bars in Copenhagen

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm almost certain that Scout 727 transmissions have a different bolt pattern than the Chrysler version. A great number of years ago Transdapt made the adapter you need but if you want one now you need to find a used one. All is not lost though, contact J.W.Performance Transmissions and inquire about one of their ultra bells. Wack off the cast bellhousing on your 727 and bolt on the ultrabell to the pump and you should be up and running. Contact JW for details and to confirm what I'm telling you!

The PIG Smith

That is an adapter to go from an International Scout 727 transmission to a Small Block Chevy (SBC).
So, that will not work for your Dodge 727 transmission.

The $400-500US that you will spend on that adapter is jsut the start of your problems that will need to solve.
• Custom Engine mounts will need to be fabricated.
• There will need to be a custom exhaust built.
• The wiring will need to be sorted out, alternator, starter, ignition...not a biggie, but lots of time and could be confusing/aggravating.
• The cooling will need to be addressed...where are the inlet and outlets of your Dodge radiator compared to where they need to be on the SBC.
• If you want to run power steering, maybe custom hoses from the SBC power steering pump to the dodge gear box.
• Where does the fuel line enter the engine compared to where the SBC fuel pump is located
(I know this a issue to be solved on swapping a SBC into a Full Size Jeep)

I suppose I could ramble on...but I will stop here...but a swap like will nickel and dime (American term) until you are broke.

The point I want to make is save your money and purchase a good used Dodge engine (I dunno how difficult that will be in Denmark) or buy a MOPAR crate engine.
In the long run , you will have saved way more time and money than had you tried to swap a SBC in a Dodge.
Think square peg in a round hole.

Bacto

Generally not what i wanted to hear, but hey you have to learn at some point.

Denmark has a ridiculously heavy tax, when it comes to importing parts and engine from countries outside the EU.

Lets say i wanted to import a 5000$ engine from America:
import tax for parts / engines 10% = 500$
taxes (moms) 25% = 5000+500x1.25
Grand total 6875$ + shipping fee

but its still seems like the best and easiest solution would be to sell the chevy SB and get a mopar

The PIG Smith

but its still seems like the best and easiest solution would be to sell the chevy SB and get a mopar
YES!

When I served in the US Army in Germany in the early 80's...I had a chance to visit the Netherlands.
I was shocked at the number of America cars I saw on their streets.
I dunno if that is still the case, but I wonder if you do some investigating for salvage yards in the Netherlands for an Mopar engine....just a thought.

I wish you the best!

Bacto

So next question would be what kinda of Mopar to get, Simple is good, so something that will basicly bolt right in, and match the truck? (no revy turbo engine)

Something quick off the startline, i dont care alot about gasmilage, since it costs a small fortune to fill the tank anyway and its not really a daliy driver. (1 gallon would be around 8$)

zak

At eight bucks a gallon everybody either walks a lot, gets paid really well or gets over 50 miles to the gallon. How much of that are taxes?

White666

Sell the Chevy and get a mopar 360 /5.9L engine.....plenty of power and plenty of aftermarket parts available, and it would be a direct bolt in for the truck. For the price of the adapter plate you could probably pick up a lot of the parts needed to build a stout 360.

White666

Buying an engine state side and having it shipped wouldn't be all that expencive, there are options to avoid the chevy disese (sorry i've been into mopars for years, never blown one up yet compared to numerous SB chevys i've seen scattered all over the place)

crasheej

Get your fellers out and check the scraping yards in EU and find a 360 mopar. They like to stop at all the gas stations but they have all the go that you are looking for. I had a 77 dodge short bed w200 whie stationed in Germany 1967 to 69 . The timing was right as the Air Froce & Army had all kinds of them running aroud. I was heavy equiment mech. never had aproblem finding parts that i needed. There might be sone left in the scrap yards in Germany.

dragonwagon

This is more in my realm then army trucks are .

Dodge 360 or 5.9 L engine is a good motor . They were not as durable as the dodge 318 or 5.2 L but both are good engines .

The 727 trans was used in several applications and was infact installed on a chevy motor by checker marathon auto . These were mostly taxi cabs here in the US and i have not seen one in years .

The scout you mention used a 727 but was built to fit the international harvester 345 cid engine . There were all 727 chrysler trans , the case was built to fit what ever engine it was going to be mated too .

Dodge 360 and 318 use the same bellhousing bolt pattern but they use a different torque converter due to balance . You must install the correct converter along with which ever engine you use .

Bacto

And by "use a different torque converter due to balance" i assume you mean different size or internally balanced vs externally balanced ?

Calling "the engine guy" tomorrow to see what he has in stock =)

dragonwagon

And by "use a different torque converter due to balance" i assume you mean different size or internally balanced vs externally balanced ?

Calling "the engine guy" tomorrow to see what he has in stock =)

correct , one is internal balance , 360 is external . If you purchase a 360 cid then you need the converter for a 360 cid as well . Should fit into the trans with no problem . If you are not a mech , have a mech install it and put a new front pump seal in .

Bacto

So talked to "engine guy" today, and there is hope !

He had a few engine to choose from, but not really any 360 in my price range or indeed anything intended for a truck (pic. below Mopar 360 six pack setup)

So are the other engine sizes that will bolt right in?

Attachments

dragonwagon

318 and 360 are the only easy swaps . 440 took a different trans , same as 400 and 383 .

I dont know of chry putting out a 360 6 pack . 340 cid had a 6 pack .

Speaking of 340 , that will interchange with the 318 and 360 but was a rare motor even here in the US . Was a muscle motor for the challenger and baracuda bodies .

southdave

So talked to "engine guy" today, and there is hope !

He had a few engine to choose from, but not really any 360 in my price range or indeed anything intended for a truck (pic. below Mopar 360 six pack setup)

So are the other engine sizes that will bolt right in?
I had an Iveco truck with a 727 trany in it , it had 332 diesel in it

Bacto

Only talked to him briefly, but he did have a 340 and i got a rough estimate of around 8000$ turnkey, so i think that is the one im going with, but well see.

Besides dont want all the hassle of ordering a engine from america, only to find something wrong with it, or missing stuff, and then have to send it back and what have you.

dragonwagon

check on oil pans . Not sure you can get a oil pan for the 340 that will fit a truck . Think they are front sump , you would need a rear sump if im not mistaken .

340 was a short stroke , quick rev motor made to get off the line quickly . heavy vehicles like a truck are really better off with a longer stroke engine for more torque to move a load . Im not saying the 340 wont serve fine in your rig , just saying it wasnt designed to be a truck motor .

360 cid was used in many many dodge trucks , longer stroke and better suited for moving weight .

dragonwagon

I reread your 1st post , looked at the photo too . The engine you have is what ? 318 or 360 ?

Your money may be best spent upgrading that motor . rebuild , add some horse power after market parts .

Im not up to date on mopar after market parts but it wouldnt take much research on the net to get educated on it .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks