• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chicken shield height?

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fording exhaust on my M1151A1 measures 6' 11.5" vertically. Just looking at proportions from your pic, it looks to be about 8' 6" +/- . Wish I had a higher garage entrance for those accessories.

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the exact reason I am trying to find out the height. I need to know if we will have to remove the shield in order to park it inside the shop.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was test fitting a mount for my mockup M2 inside the garage yesterday. Decided to hang a red shop towel (remove before driving reminder) on the steering wheel before I pulled out of the garage and ripped it off.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does anyone know the height at the top of the chicken shield when it is mounted on the turret?

pic for reference
I thought - Gee, this will be easy. It ain't! There are multiple variations on these chicken boxes... I snagged a few pictures that will give you a SWAG on height. If we could find a particular NSN, we could get better answers.

Curved Rear Gunner Shield 2.jpgCurved Rear Gunner Shield 3.jpgCurved Rear Gunner Shield.jpgUSMC Tea Cup Turret 3.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Can anyone explain why its shaped like a chicken?
Ummm... Somebody else might speak up and say otherwise, but the "chicken" part of the description is a bit of a misnomer. I am here to state clearly that anybody on the receiving end of incoming fire is not a chicken. That metal box is protection most recently used in the sandbox wars. Yeah, there were "shields" on WWII anti-aircraft guns on battleships and other war wagons. And yeah, somebody had to give it some sort of description and the chicken stuck.

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I almost

Here is the number for the particular shield we will be using Gunner shield-12484846
@Soupermike ,

The NSN's are listed starting in the Operators Manual on PDF Page 360 in TM9 2320-387-10 wChg6 (Attached).
Still trying to poke around for some possible dimensions...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks