• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chinese Headlight adjustment assembly

5.0fox

Does anyone have a link to someplace where I can get some heavy duty headlight adjustment assemblies?

Rant/
I bought two sets (one for each light) from Napa figuring they may be slightly better than the junk at auto zone. However they were still that same Chinese trash. These are products they have on the floor branded as HELP products. I cleaned out the area the light bucket rotated in and tried to adjust them. 3 of the 4 stripped out before I got the lights anywhere near close. So today I bought two more sets from autozone, same brand as they had nothing else and told me they were better than stock replacement. Took headlight assemblies clear out, wd 40'd the contact area and went to adjust them again. This time I held all spring pressure off of the clips until the lights were where I wanted them. As soon as I let the spring pressure back onto the light the clips strip right out.:evil::evil::evil:. It pisses me off. You can clearly see in the plastic piece that there is only 4 small sections of thread rather than just making the whole piece threaded. And then they brand in Huge letters on the back CHINA. It's frustrating when your trying to do something as simple as adjust a headlight and you can't get a quality piece of hardware anymore
/Rant

DieselBob

Might want to try a local GM dealer. Might be same piece in use on a newer vehicle. Can't hurt to try. Also don't forget to try at large truck dealers. Many of the new class 8 trucks still use the older style headlights. 2cents

zyrtecx

I know how you feel! I purchased some from NAPA and Advance Auto and they both were CRAP!
I looked the part numbers and I'm going to try the dealer... All I need is the plastic nuts for the
adjuster and I will be set to get the proper head light aim again!

5.0fox

Yeah. After the first ones broke I did call the dealer. He told me they couldn't get them anymore. I'm wondering if the ones from LMC would be any better or not. If I can't find something I will have to come up with my own setup. I will check a few of the other parts stores maybe and see if anything can be modified to work possibly.

1stSarge

Had the same problems, I replaced mine with a simple screw/nut/washer setup; with a nut in the front with a washer and the nut in the back with a washer. works great. It is a pita to adjust because you have to get to the nut in the back, but once done, it stays.

Attachments

Brad M

Picked up the same "Help" item and was able to get it to work but I do see the difference in quality. Mine may have worked because I pulled the turn signal and headlight first so I did not have to remove the front battery to replace it. I got them close before replacing the headlight, which may have relieved some of the strain on it from adjusting from a zero position all the way to the proper position. Since the can rubs on the frame it has some added stress on the part but with the bulb removed, you can relieve this stress and help it along. This was my experience and it is just an idea to help. I will not be adjusting it any more since after looking at it, it will not last for too many more.

rhinob

Yeah. After the first ones broke I did call the dealer. He told me they couldn't get them anymore. I'm wondering if the ones from LMC would be any better or not. If I can't find something I will have to come up with my own setup. I will check a few of the other parts stores maybe and see if anything can be modified to work possibly.

Not sure if LMC can help - would like to know if you order from them. Just received what they marketed at a "hood insulator." Turned out to be a a bulk fiberglass mat that I had to cut to size. Heck, I could have sourced that locally for a fraction of the price ($40). FYI

Last edited:

mistaken1

My question is:

Are these junk because that is all the chinese can manufacture or are they junk because they were built to the exact spec's of our good american brothers at NAPA and autozone?

5.0fox

I know this thread is old but I figured I would give a little bit of an update on the headlight adjusments. I went to the hardware store bought nuts that fit on the actual adjustment screws I believe they were 10-32's but not 100% on that. Spotted some washers to the nuts. Then got some heave guage wire, cut it into 2 inch long sections and spotted it to one side of the nuts leaving an inch of wire on each side to catch on the surrounding sheet metal. Painted them olive drab. Works like a dream and won't strip out again :mrgreen:.

edpdx

I noticed the passenger side was jerried up with some stuff off of a Radio Flyer or something. The aim is off; but I don't want to mess with it until I have a good fix ready to go. Nick says crappy ones were installed sandwiched in between the seventies models and the [ mid 90's model]. There are a million chevy trucks in the boneyard. Will it be possible to scavenge a better made one from the yards. I think I read that these may have been 7mm threads. Seems like reaming out the bad part and JB welding on an easier located SAE nut, then using an SAE bolt would be a possibility, no?

Jake0147

Does anyone have a link to someplace where I can get some heavy duty headlight adjustment assemblies?

I'm not convinced that there is such a thing any more for any vehicle. I can't picture yours specifically, it's been a while, HOWEVER we used to use a lot of Chevy trucks in our fleet. One of the two "standard" fixes used to work because we did it all the time-
If it fits, add a nut to the adjuster screw and call it a day. If it does not fit, heli-coils work awesome in plastic, it's just a little annoying because you have to keep removing the tap because the chips won't fall. I KNOW we used to fix those, and these are the only two ways I've ever fixed adjusters.

Brad M

I'm not convinced that there is such a thing any more for any vehicle. I can't picture yours specifically, it's been a while, HOWEVER we used to use a lot of Chevy trucks in our fleet.
Most auto parts stores have them in the "Help" items blister packs but as the original post said they are pretty much junk. I was able to reuse the factory screw and rub some candle wax on it and start it by hand one thread before putting it in the opening. Adjusted it up the first time and have had no problems since. It is a PITA and the parts can be junk but they are available and with some patience they can work.

The Help! section products are sold by Doorman and their website has info on them here Dorman Products - 42119

Page 41 of the Detailed Applications

Last edited: