• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Choosing a Generator

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah nothing from the factory, but easy to add. You can either add a short lead off the lugs with a female plug (that would accept a standard male end 30A NEMA L14-30 plug) or you can mount a 30A box on the side of the genset... or even hardwire the machine in. All in what works best for you. Easy stuff though... and all variations have been covered previously with a search of the forums here :).

HamAndEggs

My plan here is to pour a concrete pad about 20ft behind my NG Generator and have it there. I am going to put a shed at the end of the yard anyway, so I'll probably eventually trench over there right in front of the pad, and then run the wire directly back to the panel

Blue would be the trench

1660496599241.png

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still do need to figure out how I will handle fuel. I don't have a diesel vehicle to rotate out with
Fuel can be thoroughly pickled with modern additives to store a good amount of time, if air does not get to it. Got any friends with diesel trucks, tractors, etc? If you stored fuel in a drum, it could simply be pumped out and into friends vehicles/equipment on a yearly or biannually basis and replenished. Not ideal, but absolutely workable.

uniquify

I'm guessing the 802's have a 30a receptacle?
If you're looking to add a L14-30 twist lock receptacle, the Hubbell HBL2710SW is pretty easy to flush mount.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is probably the most extensive thread if it comes to power calculations and measurements to size a generator I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot.

We design and built Auto / Remote Start Systems for all MEP’s and AMMPS, but we do not offer data acquisition since our systems are designed for high reliability, ruggedness and dependability.

Our primary customer is the US Military and our products have seen combat in Afghanistan, Iraq, SO’s in Africa and the Middle East.
Our non military customers are primarily 911 callcenters, Police and Fire departments and other critical infrastructures in all 50 States, Puerto Rico and Guam. But we sold many to Forum members here as well over the last 8 years or so.

We have assisted our customers in various planning stages, but you guys have really outdone yourself’s in this thread.

HamAndEggs

This is probably the most extensive thread if it comes to power calculations and measurements to size a generator I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot.

We design and built Auto / Remote Start Systems for all MEP’s and AMMPS, but we do not offer data acquisition since our systems are designed for high reliability, ruggedness and dependability.

Our primary customer is the US Military and our products have seen combat in Afghanistan, Iraq, SO’s in Africa and the Middle East.
Our non military customers are primarily 911 callcenters, Police and Fire departments and other critical infrastructures in all 50 States, Puerto Rico and Guam. But we sold many to Forum members here as well over the last 8 years or so.

We have assisted our customers in various planning stages, but you guys have really outdone yourself’s in this thread.
We're all just a bunch of nerds, really :p

HamAndEggs

Just saw this locally. Very tempting for just $2000.

Good Diesel Engine, 1800RPM, Liquid Cooled, Towable! I could literally just push it into my back yard.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Light towers make some of the 'dirtiest' power there is historically... because they don't have to make clean power... they are only running light bulbs. I don't see any markings on the head in the photos to determine a make (looks like a few different manufacturers were utilized with this particular Allmand by their online literature), but they are almost certainly brushed generator heads (which of course are louder under use, and have wear items in them). This head is probably capacitor regulated as well, not utilizing an AVR.

I see on this particular unit they just did some 'PM' on the injection pump in the engine just earlier this month. You would need to DIY up an interface to get the power out of the machine (instead of going up the mast to the lights), but plenty have done it. 2000 is a good price for the engine alone, if its in working order. But are you buying this for the engine, or for its power generating capabilities? With the data (and graphics) you have shared thus far, I don't know if you are on the 'lower end' of power cleanliness!

Everyone needs to decide how best to spend their money. What you linked to is absolutely workable should it need to (provided they can show it running and making power), but is it right for you cost aside?

HamAndEggs

Yeah, taking it with a bag of salt. That price is about half what they usually sell for in this area, which was a big red flag

Don't know if you saw it, but there is also a big X across the 120v receptacles

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks