• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Choosing my first Deuce

56FordGuy

Hey all. I've decided to buy a deuce (an A2, to be specific), and need some advice. I've decided that I definitely want a winch equipped truck, but beyond that and general running condition I don't know what to look for. I've seen trucks advertised with Hercules, White, and Continental engines. I've seen guys on here talk about trucks with and without turbos. Was the turbo restricted to one make of engine, or was it put on everything past a certain manufacture date? I've also been told some trucks came equipped with air locking differentials in the rear. Is there any truth to this, and if so what do I look for in the truck to identify them?

I'm new to old military vehicles. Is there anywhere I can really read up on these trucks, either online or in a book?

Thanks!

Westech

CPL
ok one at a time... type of engine.. who cares there just all about the same. Turbo yes you want one. little more power and lot less smoke. A "C" turbo its really loud and a "D" turbo is not as bad.. about the same power out put. The guys with "D" turbos are weak and cant handle real military noise. (that should make some waves)
Turbos were slapped on and you really cant tell by year of truck, make, or who made the engine your just going to have and pop the hood. As of T case you really want the "air" shift. there is a switch on the dash to engage the front axle. The sprag or "auto front end" have problems and dont stand up to the air shift. and last rear locking differentials, we know there out there but they were put on exported trucks as far as I know. I have Never seen one. I think Kenny knows alot more then I on the rear air locked trucks. Kenny feel free to make me look like a jack ass lol

Welcome Fordguy.. If your interested in seeing diffrent types of turbos and deuces. and would like to get a hands on experience and check some out. Please feel free to stop by decatur AL and see some we got here. We have some for sale also. but you can more then willing to come get a first hand look and ask questions about these. But beware its a sickness and ones never enough rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks